The Effects of Ice Cream Consumption on WSU Students Overall Happiness And What Flavor is Most Flavor-ful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Ice cream is a sweet treat that most of us can enjoy. Whether it be chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry, nearly everyone is screaming for ice cream! But what about students of WSU? This upcoming Halloween season, are they screaming in delight or disgust?

I took to Kryzsko Commons to answer these questions and this is what they said:

YAY OR NAY DELICIOUS NASTY CAN’T CONSUME INDIFFERENT
# OF ANSWERS 21.5 2 0.5 1

Of the 25 students interviewed, an overwhelming 86% said they loved ice cream! One of my elder interviewees even said, “Although I shouldn’t have ice cream [(because of blood sugar levels]), I do love it and enjoy a cone with my mom whenever I see her.”

It’s clear to see that students of WSU can’t get enough of the frozen, sweet treat! So then comes the question:, which is our favorite flavor? Will it be smooth vanilla? Sticky-sweet caramel? Creamy chocolate? Or a flavor blasted fruity swirl?

When asked the question, “Which flavor is your favorite of these four,” this is what they had to say:

FAVORITE FLAVOR CHOCOLATE VANILLA CARAMEL FRUITY
# OF ANSWERS 8 7 4 6

Our answers across the board were very different this time. Chocolate, vanilla, and fruity were a close race with caramel coming in at a distinctive last place. It seems that chocolate is WSU’s favorite flavor!

For the next test, I needed to collect a constant variable. I asked my interviewees what their current happiness was, on a scale of 1 to 10, at the time of the interview:

HAPPINESS ON A SCALE OF 1-10 # OF ANSWERS
1 NONE
2 NONE
3 NONE
4 2 PEOPLE
5 3 PEOPLE
6 6 PEOPLE
7 7 PEOPLE
8 6 PEOPLE
9 3 PEOPLE
10 NONE

Most seemed pretty happy, but some weren’t feeling like their best selves.

Finally, I asked my interviewees, “Do you think that you feel happier when eating ice cream?” They responded:

HAPPIER OR NOT YES NO DEPENDS
# OF ANSWERS 9 3 13

This final question has told me that most WSU students aren’t sure about how ice cream makes them feel. While a large majority feels that ice cream gives them a boost, an even larger group says that it all depends on outside stimulus. One thing we can say for sure is that ice cream wasn’t hurting anybody.

Ice cream is a cool, creamy, treat for people of all ages to enjoy, and they do! It seems that ice cream is not just for kids, at least not here at WSU where 86% of us love that sugary goodness. Chocolate is our favorite flavor, followed closely by vanilla and fruity, leaving caramel to take the ‘L.’ While many of us feel that the sweet, sweet, goodness of ice cream can give us a happiness boost, a large majority says it all depends on the situation. So what do you think? Is ice cream really all it’s cracked up to be? Feel free to run this experiment with your own school and see how you all really feel! 

Have a super sweet day!

Hello! My name is Caitlyn Petersen and I am 19 years old. I am currently attending The University of Winona. I am a criminal justice major. I hope to someday work in a medical examiners office as a coroner investigator. Some of my hobbies include seeing movies, drawing, crocheting, and of course, writing. I prefer a more scientific approach to writing my articles.