photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

A Thanksgiving Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it comes with warmth, family, and contentedness, but I think it’s often easy to skip past the “giving thanks” part.

This year, I wanted to challenge myself and those around me to put more effort into what they answer to the question, “What are you thankful for?”

Now, I could say the usual: friends, family, a house, food, etc., but that’s boring. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I don’t appreciate those things. They truly are valid answers and I do give thanks for them, but they’re also lazy. This year, the challenge is to not only think about WHAT I’m thankful for but WHY I am thankful for it.

I am thankful for my parents because they provide unconditional love, support, stability, and dependability. I know I am always safe and taken care of.

I am thankful for my brother and my sister for being my pals. Not all siblings have the closeness that we do, and I’m happy to be able to goof around but also tell each other personal things.

I am thankful for my best friends because of their forgiveness and love. My closest friends have gotten to know my heart. They know my true intentions and are able to look past when I make mistakes.

I am thankful for those who take the time to read my writing. In this day and age, I understand that it’s a little hard to keep attention on anything longer than a tweet… I’m guilty of it too! However, I continuously get views, responses, and encouragements from people who take the time to explore something I’m passionate about, and for that I am endlessly thankful.

I am thankful for those who are different from me; the people who bring the opportunity to open my eyes and change my opinions and viewpoints. It’s not always fun to be told when you’re close-minded, but it sets the opportunity for immense growth and bettering oneself as a human being.

I am thankful for warmth because I am the biggest freeze baby you will ever meet and I get physically angry when I have been chilly for too long.

I am thankful for the not-so good times for teaching me how to appreciate the good times of plenty.

Note that this is not an exhaustive list. I could go on and on, but these are things I think are the most common answer to this big question surrounding the holiday. Just like people can lose sight of the meaning of Christmas with all the hustle and bustle and gifts and treats, we also lose sight of the real meaning of Thanksgiving. It’s not all about turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie (though it is very much about those things). It’s mainly about taking a day not to ask for anything, but to thank for all that you have.

Cover photo

Picture 1

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.