Thanks Be to Poetry: An Acrostic about My Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

One of the best ways I know how to show my love and gratitude for moments in my life is by putting them to prose. For this year’s Thanksgiving article, I wrote an acrostic, where every first letter spells Thanksgiving, about my favorite parts of the holiday and how thankful I am. 

The wonderful aromas hit my nostrils as I walk through our grandparents’ front door.

Hugs and kisses are passed around like party favors—’tis the season to celebrate.

All congregate in the kitchen; but especially today, there’s no such thing as too many cooks.

Nom-nomming on cheese plates, we prime our bellies for the glorious feast ahead.

Kick-off happens and money, like the pigskin, is thrown around for football game bets.

Soon… soon, we will eat!

Gather everyone for a blessing around the dinner table filled with food and family. 

I feel my heart swell with gratitude for all my loved ones; happy tears may be shed.

Vivacious, side-splitting laughter comes from games of Apples to Apples and Yahtzee.

Inching closer to wanting dessert; soon after, pumpkin pie is served!

Nobody goes home empty-handed as leftovers are dispersed evenly and lovingly.

Goodbyes are shared… It was another terrific, turkey-tastic Thanksgiving.

Whether it’s in the form of prose or not, I hope everyone has an opportunity to fill their hearts (and their plates) while surrounded by people they’re most grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving, ya turkeys! 

Cover

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!