Terminating Hair Tangles with the “Tangle Teezer” Hairbrush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

From waking up to driving down the road, hair tangles can occur at the most inconvenient times. However, the Tangle Teezer hairbrush is specifically designed for terminating those pesky tangles. Her Campus and Tangle Teezer partnered together to review and sponsor three types of Tangle Teezer brushes. 

Tangle Teezer was founded and has been based in London since 2007. They have sold over 50 million hairbrushes worldwide, catering to all kinds of different hair. I was one of the lucky recipients to receive this golden opportunity. My reviews of the three different Tangle Teezer brushes are below!

The Ultimate Detangler

This detangling brush is designed to be used while your hair is still wet. It has 325 teeth consisting of two different lengths, ensuring it reaches the snarls close to your scalp and visible to you. At just $14, The Ultimate Detangler comes in nine different colors! This specific design not only helps you brush your wet hair, but it can also help you evenly distribute shampoo and conditioner.

Throughout my experience using The Ultimate Detangler, I noticed a few things. First, the color brush provided to me was purple, which also happened to be my favorite color. I did notice that the color was more matte than shiny, which is not my preferred taste. Therefore, I love the look of it, but it lost a couple points only because of my personal preference. The shape proved beneficial considering the handle is slightly curved to provide maximum comfort and usability. However, the teeth do not have little caps on them, so I found that my scalp was sore after usage. Granted my hair is quite thin, so it is even thinner when it is wet. Lastly, while The Ultimate Detangler helped me evenly distribute shampoo and conditioner, it appeared I was losing more hair than I was previously. When my hair was not wet, this brush actually performed even better. If I used this brush while my hair was wet, as it was intended, I noticed my hair became more full and voluminous after it dried.

My Review:

Appearance: 8 out of 10. It was two shades of purple (my fave), but the color seemed slightly dull.

Comfort: 8 out of 10. The curved handle provided maximum grip and comfortability. I only docked it a couple points because the teeth hurt my wet scalp.

Overall: 8 out of 10. Overall, I liked the design, but it hurt my scalp. I loved the end, voluminous results.

Comparison: This was my least favorite out of the three brushes that I had the opportunity of reviewing. For that reason, I rank it 3rd.

The Original Detangling Hairbrush

The Original Detangling Hairbrush is a palm-sized hairbrush designed for wet or dry hair. It costs $12, just $2 less than The Ultimate Detangler. This brush also comes in nine different color combinations. Similar to the previous brush I reviewed above, this brush has tiered teeth. The longer tier of teeth is designed to detangle the snarls, and the shorter tier aims to “smooth the hair cuticle.

The Original Detangling Hairbrush delivered to me was turquoise and pink. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved the colors blue and pink together because they reminded me of cotton candy. This hairbrush color combination is no different. While I would have personally chosen either their “Salmon Smoothie” or “Strawberry Passion” color combos, I still loved the look of the one delivered to me. With the slight curve and palm-sized shape, it allowed me to accurately and effortlessly attack my tangles. When using it, my hair was both dry and wet in different instances. Similar to The Ultimate Detangler, I noticed the teeth were harsh on my scalp when my hair was wet. However, since this one is designed for wet or dry use, I couldn’t dock it points because I loved how this one felt on my dry hair. The end result was also similar to The Ultimate Detangler, since it made my hair appear more full and voluminous.

My Review:

Appearance: 8 out of 10. It was turquoise and pink, but I would have personally chosen another color combination.

Comfort: 8.5 out of 10. The curved palm-sized hairbrush provided maximum accuracy and comfortability. I only docked it a half point because the teeth slightly hurt my scalp when my hair was wet.

Overall: 8.5 out of 10. Overall, I liked the design, but it hurt my scalp when wet. I loved the end results.

Comparison: This was my second favorite out of the three brushes that I had the opportunity of reviewing. For that reason, I rank it 2nd.

Compact Styler

The Compact Styler is $16 with eight different color or pattern combinations. Whether you just drove to work or are walking between classes, this Compact Styler allows you to brush your hair on the go whenever you need it. The click-on cover allows for clean storage as well. Like the two brushes previously mentioned, this brush has two-tiers of detangling teeth.

The Compact Styler was my ultimate favorite out of the three brushes that I had the opportunity of reviewing. The color provided to me, shiny light pink and shiny dark pink, was gorgeous. The palm-sized brush allowed for comfort and accuracy, similar to The Original Detangling Hairbrush. The small size allows for easy travel and storage. The click-on cover keeps any caught hair to stay in the brush and not dirty my backpack. I use this brush in between classes, after car rides, and in numerous other situations. It also provides the same voluminous results as the previous two brushes. Overall, This is one of my new favorite hair brushes. (I have seven hair brushes in total.)

My Review:

Appearance: 10 out of 10. It was pretty and smooth-looking.

Comfort: 10 out of 10. The curved palm-sized shape provided maximum accuracy and comfortability. Since this brush was only designed for dry hair, I didn’t experience the slight pain like I did with the other two hairbrushes.

Overall: 10 out of 10. Overall, I loved everything about this brush!

Comparison: This was my favorite out of the three brushes that I had the opportunity of reviewing. For that reason, I rank it 1st.

Tangle Teezer has created numerous brushes for all kinds of different hairstyles. Their cheapest detangling brush costs $10, and their most expensive one costs $18. They have fun designs in solid colors, such as Rose Gold, and in patterns, such as Dinosaurs or Mermaid Scales. After selling over 50 million hair brushes in total, their experience continues to develop. I highly suggest the Compact Styler out of all their options.

Overall, a huge thank you to Tangle Teezer and the Her Campus headquarters for granting me this golden opportunity. I look forward to the continued use of my brushes and even more Tangle Teezer products in the future!

#TangleTeezer #HCxTangleTeezer #sponsored

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.