Sydney Pecha: Big Things Come In Small Packages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Name: Sydney Pecha

Major: Elementary Education with an Emphasis in Early Childhood

Minor: Spanish

Year: Junior

Hometown: Bloomer, WI

When we first heard of Sydney we knew two things:

1.   She is an amazing student, studying to be a teacher.

2.   She is very short.

Her Campus Winona (HC): What made you want to become a teacher?

Sydney Pecha (SP): I had a couple of different experiences in high school that made me want to become a teacher. One of them was when I decided to be a mentor when I was a junior in high school for a 1st grade student. I got to spend time with her on a weekly basis and we would play games, do arts and crafts, and work on homework. This was my first experience actually working with students, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I decided to continue to be a mentor throughout my senior year, and I was also enrolled in a class where we would spend time in a preschool and kindergarten class on a regular basis. I loved the teachers I was able to work with and the classroom environment in general. You are always busy doing something and your days are never boring!

I would say the experience that impacted me the most though came from a family in the community that I knew. This family didn’t speak any English, and they were sending their first child to school and were very nervous about it. I saw how much the family struggled to communicate with their child’s teachers and how much the child struggled in school his first year because he didn’t speak English. After that, I really wanted to be a teacher so that I could of course help all children, but especially those who struggle and need some extra time, help, and care.

HC: What things are you involved in?

SP: I work at the WSU Children’s Center as a childcare assistant in the toddler room. I’m also involved in a community service club on campus called Circle K International, and this year I decided to join MedLife and I will be going on a service learning trip to Peru in December.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

SP: If I have free time, I like to be outside if at all possible, whether it be rollerblading, going for a walk, run, or simply sitting by the lake listening to music. I also love to read and go to movies. My favorite thing to do though is spend time with my family, friends, and my dog. You can’t beat quality time spent with good company!

HC: What inspires you?

SP: The people that inspire me the most are my parents and brother. Both of my parents work so hard and are some of the most selfless people I know. If I can be half as good of a parent as they are, then I know I did something right with my life. I also look up to my older brother a lot. He’s been very successful in his life but had to work extremely hard to get to the point where he is at. Nothing comes easy to him, and he has had his fair share of obstacles in life to work through. I admire him for his determination, perseverance, kind heart, and sense of humor he brings with him wherever he goes. He is the first person to be able to cheer me up when I am having a bad day, and I can’t thank him enough for that. My cousin, Danielle, also inspires me a lot. She is a behavioral therapist and continuously gives me advice and resources about working with kids of all backgrounds. She’s also an amazing mom and is raising two little boys who I love to death. She is the ideal working mom that I hope to be someday.

HC: What is something you are looking forward to?

SP: I am definitely looking forward to my trip to Peru! I have had a fascination with Peru ever since middle school, and it’s on my bucket list of places I want to visit. Plus we are doing a service project while we are there, and I think being able to help people and give back makes a trip like this so much more worthwhile. I went on a travel study trip to Jamaica last spring and we did a service learning project while we were there. It made the trip have such a different meaning to it, and I came back with a whole new perspective on life. By doing trips like these, you are truly immersed within the culture and your takeaway is so much more.

HC: What would you say sets you apart from the typical student at WSU?

SP: I would say the fact that I’m four feet eleven inches tall sets me apart (literally) from the typical student here. And the fact that I wear a size four in children’s shoes!

HC: What goals do you have for yourself in the next five years?

SP: My goals for the next five years are to graduate college, find a teaching job, travel to wherever life takes me, and possibly go back to school to get my master’s degree. I also wouldn’t mind buying my own house somewhere in between all of that.

HC: Favorite Netflix show?

SP: Gilmore Girls!

HC: Cookies or brownies?

SP: Brownies, especially warmed up with vanilla ice cream and chocolate and caramel on top. Maybe add some peanuts and Cool Whip to that as well.

HC: Small town or big city?

SP: This is a hard one. I’ve lived in a small town my whole life, but I wouldn’t mind living in a big city for a couple of years. They both definitely have their pros and cons. My favorite thing about a big city is there’s always something going on and new places to discover. However, I love the quietness and simplicity of a small town. It’s a toss-up honestly!

HC: iPhone or Android?

SP: Definitely iPhone. I am not a techy person, and I don’t understand how Android phones work, so I just stick with the iPhone.

Sydney is a very hardworking, always caring and continuously gracious human being. She makes everyone around her feel loved and appreciated always. Though she is small she is full of much life and laughter. Can’t wait to see what the world has in store for you.

This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.