St. Patrick’s Day in Winona

With this semester flying by and midterms coming up faster than expected, we’re all probably getting so caught up in studying, homework, and extracurricular activities that we let the days pass us by. However, one day you might not want to let pass you by as quickly is March 17th. St. Patrick’s Day is a day full of celebration of not only St. Patrick, but of the Irish culture, as well. This day is celebrated across the world, so why not take part in that celebration right here in Winona? Here are a couple ideas of how you can participate in St. Patrick’s Day by eating different meals around Winona or even preparing food in your own home. And just a little tip, if you are deciding to stay in, green food coloring is going to become your best friend this St. Patrick’s Day.

Breakfast:

There is no better way to start your day off than by getting your morning coffee fill.  If you don’t feel like making your own coffee, stop by one of the three Mugby cafes and pick up your large Nutty Irishman coffee. And what is coffee without a donut? Run over to Bloedow’s Bakery for your St. Patrick’s Day sprinkled donut fix. 

For those of you who would rather cook your own breakfast that morning. Top o’ the Mornin’ Lucky Charms Pancakes are a great choice. Here’s how to make them:

In a large bowl, blend pancake mix and ingredients together.

Once blended, take your handy dandy green food coloring and add some drops here and there to the batter until you get your desired shade of green.

After that, add ½ cup of marshmallows from the Lucky Charms cereal and mix it all together.

Lastly, take a ¼ cup and measure out your batter and put that glob on the griddle.

Let it cook, flip it, and bam, it’s done. Don’t forget to cover your pancakes with more marshmallows and whipped cream!

If you don’t have much time to make an extravagant pancake breakfast, you can just pour yourself some Lucky Charms cereal. That is a classic Irish on-the-go breakfast right there. Not really, but it works in this case. And if you want to add a drop of green food coloring into your milk, even better!

Lunch:

If you have a lunch break between classes or work, Acoustic Café is the place to be. One of their specials for St. Patrick’s Day is, when you buy any sandwich, and they have many selections, you get free lemonade with it. Also, they will be having their holiday coffee flavor special, the Shamrock latte, so if you missed your coffee fill that morning or you just need to replenish yourself with more coffee, drop in for your cup of St. Patrick’s Day delight. 

If you are out and about during your lunch break, don’t forget to stop by Winona Bread and Bagel to get your Shamrock Cut-Out Cookie, an Irish Crème Cupcake or two, and/or a loaf of Irish Soda Bread which, for those of you who don’t know, is a traditional Irish baked bread.

Now, for those of you who want to make your own lunch a Deli-Style Corned Beef sandwich is a great place to start. All you need is two slices of bread, your favorite cheese, slices of corned beef, and your favorite condiments. Again, you can always eat some Lucky Charms and add a little green food coloring to your milk to create a classic Irish Style lunch.

Dinner:

As the day winds down and classes start to end, nothing is better than the idea of someone else cooking you dinner. Have no fear, Bub’s Brewing Co is more than happy to treat you to a great St. Patrick’s Day meal. St. Patrick’s Day is Bub’s favorite holiday and they are quoted to have a pretty happening place down there on March 17th. They will be having specials going on for all of their Irish beer and whiskies, and there will be a couple specials for different Irish foods as well, like their Irish stew. Bub’s will also be selling $15 T-shirts specialized just for St. Patrick’s Day. Check them out!

If you are feeling a classier type of St. Patrick’s day dinner, yet still affordable, head over to the Grill at Signatures. They will be having their Irish dinner special that consists of corned beef and cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and soda bread. They will also be serving Shepard’s pie with soda bread, and they promise to have an ample supply of Guinness, Jameson, and Bailey’s beer.

Maybe eating out isn’t really your style for the night, and you want to make your own St. Patrick’s Day dinner creation, here are a couple ideas of foods you could make:

Corned Beef Mac and Cheese – basically make your favorite mac and cheese and then add chopped up slices of corned beef and some peas.

Corned Beef Potpie – basically like a chicken pot pie, but instead of putting chicken in there, put some sliced up corn beef.

Like I said before, if you don’t have much time to make these dinners or you just don’t feel like making something like this for dinner, go straight for the Lucky Charms. You really can’t go wrong with those. And don’t forget the green food coloring for your milk. Very festive!

Drinks:

Now, I’m sure that most people know that the Irish culture has a stereotype about their “mighty” consumption of beer and other alcohol, so here are just a few different St. Patrick’s Day styled drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, that would go nicely with your meals:

Lime Sherbet Float – here is a non-alcoholic drink made up of scoops of lime sherbet with lemon-lime pop poured over it.

Green Daiquiri Punch – for you daiquiri lovers, take 2 cans of frozen limeade concentrate, 2 cups lime flavored pop, 1 cup rum, and if you like, 2 cups lime flavored sports drink. Remember, this makes a pitcher so you might want to share with others.

Green Beer – for those of you who are beer people, here is a St. Patrick’s Day twist. Take your favorite beer, pour it into a glass, take your green food coloring and place drops into the beer until you get the green color you want. Enjoy!

Green Champagne – for those of you who want to go classy this St. Patrick’s Day, go pick up your favorite bottle of champagne, pour it into glasses, take your green food coloring and drop some drops into your champagne. Seriously, that’s all you have to do. Pretty simple!

Basically if you have any alcohol drink that you absolutely love or any non-alcoholic drink that you absolutely love, just put a few drops of green food coloring in and it automatically makes it St. Patrick’s Day worthy!

Just a reminder, though the Irish are known for drinking a lot and some of you might be known for that as well, most of you will have classes the day after St. Patrick’s Day, so try not to get too crazy.

Whatever you decide to do, or where ever you decide to go on St. Patrick’s Day, don’t forget to wear your green; not only to represent, but you also probably don’t want to get a pinch for not wearing green!

Meet Katelyn Murray: Originally from a small town in southeastern Minnesota, Katelyn is currently a senior here at Winona State majoring in Elementary Education. She has a passion for working with kids and wants to be a part of their educational growth and success. In her spare time, you can find Katelyn reading, writing for fun, binge watching Netflix, hanging with her family and friends, watching hockey, and shooting archery. Besides one day marrying Charlie Coyle from the Minnesota Wild, Katelyn’s goals are to finish her Bachelor's, get a teaching job near her hometown hopefully in a third grade English/Reading class, and eventually going on for a Masters degree.