This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I used to be obsessed with Kesha and her song “Tik Tok”; P.S. I’m still mad at the app—TikTok—for stealing Kesha’s song title… but it’s fine, I’m fine. But as I grew up, I felt significantly less attached to her music and realized being an adult was nothing like “Tik Tok” since I never get pedicures, and boys don’t blow up my phone unless a co-worker wants me to cover his work shift. The police shut down bars for COVID; so much for the raging parties; and the only line I can connect to any more is “got plenty of beer / ain’t got no money in my pocket, but I’m already here.” 

And that’s when I realized: “Tik Tok” is no longer a jam but a sad reminder of being old. 

13-year-old me had more party in her blood than 22-year-old me; I’m old. But I’ve recently re-discovered Kesha and found a love for her new music. I had “Praying,” “Rainbow,” and “Honey” on constant repeat; but then one day, I got a little wild and put Kesha on shuffle, and before I knew it, I was singing along to a song about potatoes. 

Potatoes! 

When the song was over, I was like “what the heck was that song?” But then all I wanted to do was listen to it again. Before I knew it, I was obsessed with the “Potato Song” and knew every word by heart. 

I really feel such a connection to this song. Especially being a senior during a pandemic, I’m pretty much over school and would love to move to a distant island and just grow some potatoes. 

Below are the lyrics and how they connect somehow oh-so-perfectly to my life. Call me Kesha because I’m moving to a distant island, byeee.  

“Don’t know where I’m going, but I know I’m always rushing //

I never get there, and I forget where I’ve been”

Uh, YEAH! Life is so go-go-go, even during a pandemic! I just wrote an article about slowing down. And while I am practicing, I’m not perfect yet. I’m running to my desk for class, running late for work, rushing to get everything done and go where I need. 

“So stressed out on the daily, it is quite the shit-storm”

Yeah, girl, my life is a shit-storm… thanks for letting me know I’m not alone. 

“I’m over the drama //

I’m moving to a distant island //

Where I’ll sleep all day //

If I want to” 

Kesha, you read my mind. That’s all I wanna do: some sunshine on my face, a cat-nap in the sand, no people around me on my own distant island… yeah, that’s what I want too. 

“I’ll grow some potatoes and flowers //

Then I’ll make sandcastles, then I’ll eat some cake //

‘Cause I want to //

La-di-da-di-da // 

‘Cause I want to //

La-di-da-di-da”

Pull my leg. I’ll do it. I’ll move to a distant island and grow some potatoes and flowers. I’m convinced. 

“Living in this world’s like watching one big infomercial //

There’s useless information clogging up my little brain”

I love this part because sometimes the world does feel so fake. I have Matrix moments and wonder if my life is just simulated reality. Maybe Kesha is onto something; maybe she’s just sick of the mundaneness of her life. We may never know.   

“I used to think my Gucci bag meant my shit was together //

But now I see growing up’s a game that I don’t wanna play //

No, no //

I’m over adulthood //

I’m throwing all my big girl panties //

In the garbage can //

‘Cause I can”

Yup. You said it, Kesha. I thought growing up was hot shit, but now I just wanna be a kid again. It’s not so much fun anymore.  

“I’ll be out riding my pony until it’s time for candy //

And I’ll be naked because I want to //

La-di-da-di-da //

‘Cause I want to //

La-di-da-di-da”

I don’t love ponies, but I like candy, so I can get down with this idea. I just love Kesha’s idea of “‘Cause I want to.” I need to do more because I want to. It’s such a simple idea but something I just forget to do. I forget I can treat myself to a donut because I want to, and it won’t ruin my workout. I forget I can dress nicely for myself just because I want to look nice. I forget I can do things for myself just because I want to. So thank you, Kesha. I needed that. 

“What would you do if you could do //

Anything in the world that you wanted to? //

What makes you happy? Do what you wanna do //

Ain’t nobody stopping you”

KESHA, YES, SAY NO MORE!!! This song is so goofy and sounds so dumb, but there’s so much more to it. People live their lives in such boring and mundane ways and don’t spend time on themselves. When I hear this part, I always think of answers to Kesha’s questions here and promise myself I will do something that makes me happy that day. 

It might be small, or it might be the beginning of a big plan. But I make a conscious effort to remind myself to do something that makes me happy. Ain’t nobody stopping me. 

“Go grow some potatoes and flowers //

Then go make sandcastles, then go eat some cake //

If you want to (‘Cause I want to) //

What would you do if you could do (La-di-da-di-da) //

Anything in the world that you wanted to? (‘Cause I want to) //

Ain’t nobody stopping you (‘Cause I want to) //

What would you do if you could do (La-da-da, do what I want) //

What makes you happy? Do what you wanna do (La-di-da-di-da) //

Ain’t nobody stopping you (‘Cause I want to)”

Kellen is a senior this year at Winona State majoring in Communications in Arts and Literature- Teaching. Kellen hopes to teach either middle or high school English. In the far future, she dreams of being an English professor and hopefully even writing a book. This is her fourth year in Her Campus and is full of ideas to explore and share! Kellen is always keeping herself busy by being involved in many other organizations around campus. If she’s not in class with her nose in a book or around campus at another club or organization, she can be found reading, painting, biking, hiking and just exploring beautiful Winona with some friends. 
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.