Springing Onto the Silver Screen: Highly Anticipated Movie Releases

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Although it doesn’t really feel like it’s already April with the weather outside, the spring and summer movie scene is about to blow up! As an avid movie lover, I hope you enjoy my list of the top ten anticipated flicks hitting the box office in the upcoming months.

• Blockers – April 6

Description: Three parents try to stop their daughters from having sex on Prom night.

Anticipation: It’s been a long-standing stereotype that Prom night is where a lot of teens choose to ditch their V-card, but this Kay Cannon (notable director of Pitch Perfect trilogy) comedy is a fresh take on the parents’ outrageous plan to put an end to #SexPact2018. With a laugh riot cast fleshed out with actors like Ike Barinholtz, Leslie Mann, and John Cena, this movie seems like it will lead to a night to remember… in the strangest of ways.

• A Quiet Place – April 6

Description: A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.

Anticipation: I’m not usually a horror genre fan, but this concept is so intriguing to me (even Stephen King has called this film an “extraordinary piece of work”). The little deaf girl in the movie, played by Millicent Simmonds, is deaf in real life, which adds to the element of unease throughout the movie. John Krasinski wrote the screenplay AND acted in it, alongside his wife Emily Blunt. It’s supposed to be a statement on parenthood, which is prevalent after seeing it recently. Since writing this article, I have seen the movie and it’s easily going to be one of the best in 2018. Guaranteed.

• Truth or Dare – April 13

Description: A harmless game of Truth or Dare among friends turns deadly when someone — or something — begins to punish those who tell a lie or refuse the dare.

Anticipation: Keeping right in line with A Quiet Place, this flick looks like a creepy, thrilling teen movie. Truth or Dare is a tried and true game filled with light-hearted suspense, but this film appears to be much more sinister, and it could make for a great friend outing to the movies. I dare you!

• I Feel Pretty – April 20

Description: A woman struggling with insecurity wakes from a fall believing she is the most beautiful and capable woman on the planet. Her new confidence empowers her to live fearlessly, but what happens when she realizes her appearance never changed?

Anticipation: I am a big fan of Amy Schumer’s standup comedy, and this film looks like it is chock full of good jokes with a better message hidden underneath. Schumer is definitely one of the first people that comes to my mind when I think of body positivity, and the fact that she was able to act in a film with such a great concept and some side-splitting humor is Pretty awesome.

• Overboard – May 4

Description: A spoiled, wealthy yacht owner is thrown overboard and becomes the target of revenge from his mistreated employee. A remake of the 1987 comedy.

Anticipation: This movie looks like a good light-hearted comedy with a message about work ethic, plus who doesn’t love Anna Faris and Eva Longoria? I haven’t seen the 1987 version, but one can only hope it will stack up to the original!

• Life of the Party – May 11

Description: When her husband suddenly dumps her, longtime dedicated housewife Deanna turns regret into reset by going back to college – landing in the same class and school as her daughter, who’s not entirely sold on the idea. Plunging headlong into the campus experience, the increasingly outspoken Deanna — now Dee Rock — embraces freedom, fun, and frat boys on her own terms, finding her true self in a senior year no one ever expected.

Anticipation: This movie will definitely be one that I see with my mom because as much as I love her, I doubt Winona State could handle two Hippensteel girls simultaneously. McCarthy’s movies are known for their crazy antics and the trailer proves this film to be no different. Comedic dynamite also exists with costars like Maya Rudolph and Julie Bowen (who plays Claire on Modern Family)!

• Ocean’s 8 – June 8

Description: Debbie Ocean gathers a crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City’s yearly Met Gala.

Anticipation: I love a good heist movie with my favorite being Ocean’s 11 because Bernie Mac cracks me up and Clooney/Pitt are just such a dynamic duo. However, the future is FEMALE! The Met Gala is such a classy and unexpected place to attempt a heist, much like the wonderful women who are trying to pull it off (Sarah Paulson, Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling and Rihanna, just to name a few). Plus, it will still feature a cameo by dreamy Matt Damon, who is a mainstay in the original Ocean’s series.

• Incredibles 2 – June 15

Description: Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for Jack-Jack while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world.

Anticipation: My inner child is quaking with excitement for this to hit the silver screen. The anticipation has been building for 14 (!!!) years and this sequel is bound to be, well, INCREDIBLE! I personally always felt a connection to Violet and occasionally Jack-Jack on a bad temper day, so I’m more than ready to fast forward to June to watch this (just as soon as I find my super suit!).

• Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! – July 20

Description: In this sequel to Mamma Mia!, Sophie learns about her mother’s past while pregnant.

Anticipation: This was one of the first musical movies where I was able to commit the whole soundtrack to memory, and for good reason – it’s epic! Amanda Seyfried (who played Karen in Mean Girls) is tackling the role of Donna’s daughter, Sophie. The movie also features some special cameos of Cher, dreamboats Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan, plus my QUEEN, Meryl. The trailer looks so wholesome; Mamma Mia 2, how can I resist (seeing) you?

• The Darkest Minds – August 3

Description: Imprisoned by an adult world that now fears everyone under 18, a group of teens forms a resistance group to fight back and reclaim control of their future.

Anticipation: It’s already an indisputable fact that the teens and younger generations are the future.This movie introduces a twist with teens banding together to use their strengths, whether that be supernatural or otherwise, to protect their right to define their own fate. Brought to us by the producers of Stranger Things, it’s definitely gotta be good! The trailer left me feeling powerful and like it might not be such a bad thing to have one of The Darkest Minds if it’ll be half as epic as predicted in the movie teaser.

So there you have it: my ten most anticipated movies to grace the box office in the upcoming months. Spring and summer, I’m waiting for you – both in the weather forecast and these featured flicks to hit the silver screen soon!

Sources

cover 1 2 3 4 5

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski