Spring Fever: 10 Reasons to Be Excited for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I am so sick of winter—I just want it to be warm already! For anyone else out there who has begun to lose hope for the upcoming season’s arrival, here are 10 reasons you should be excited for spring.

10:  New beginnings

One thing that gets me excited for spring is everything that’s new and growing. Spring is the perfect time for new goals and new ways to grow from old or toxic habits. You could change your habits or even your appearance by cutting out poor behaviors or your hair! The flowers and leaves are starting to bloom again, so why can’t you?

9:  Snow goes away

As much as I hate seeing the liquid and gooey mess on the ground from the melting snow, I remind myself every time that it must look like this before my favorite season returns. Watching everything go from stone cold to blooming with life is rewarding because it is a mark that I have just survived another Minnesota winter. When I walk outside and am hit with the fresh outdoorsy scent, I know that spring is near.

8:  Happiness

When spring comes around, people’s levels of serotonin increases, which brightens up their mood and helps them experience feelings of “satisfaction and calmness” (1). With there also being lower levels of anxiety and depression, it is another perk to look forward to spring when science is on your side.

7:  Bikini bod

Time to Work on that summer bod again—yay! Get ready to tan, exercise, use face masks, etc. However, this doesn’t mean to not eat junk food because spring is a time to treat yourself. Working out, balancing your diet, and being able to treat yourself to pizza every once in a while won’t hurt your ability to get an awesome summer bod—plus, you can feel proud of all your accomplishments. In fact, I prefer pizza over a hot summer bod, but making these types of fitness goals is always a rewarding process!

6:  Outside running

Now that you can stand outside for more than 10 minutes without feeling like you’re going to get frostbite or hypothermia, you can run around your neighborhood or campus! I don’t personally run, but I love walking with friends to the lake or even to Kwik Trip (their coffee is my vice). However, I really love seeing people’s moods change after running. Everyone has that one friend who has the motivation to run every day, and if you don’t—that friend is probably you.

5:  No more phone battery drainage

I don’t know about you, but I am so sick of going outside for even just 10 minutes to walk to another place on campus and my phone goes from 100 to 50 percent. Maybe my phone is old, but when it is as cold as it has been lately (thank you, Minnesota), my phone just cannot keep up and will die before I even get to where I am trying to go. Everything drains so much faster, but when spring comes, that is something that I will not miss!

4:  Better picture opportunities!

The warmer the weather, the longer we will be able to stay outside for cute pictures. I love taking pictures, even during the winter, which can be a hardship because most people don’t want to spend too long outside in the Minnesota weather. In my opinion, the best times to shoot in the winter are when it’s 20 degrees, or higher, and snowing (for the aesthetic, of course).

This is why I am beyond excited for warmer weather. During the winter, everything looks so dead and pale, and I have to work twice as hard to warm up the colors while editing. In the spring, though, everyone feels good while shooting because it’s not too cold, nor too warm, either.

3:  Ice cream

Okay, honestly—I don’t know why I put this down on the list because while spring and summer are the ideal ice cream seasons, I eat ice cream every day. Catch me walking in the 30-degree spring weather with a cone of pineapple sherbet. There is no season that you can’t eat ice cream! However, eating ice cream in warm weather sounds amazing right about now.

2:  Soaking up the sun

This is one of the things I am most stoked for! I love walking around campus and seeing everyone lying out and doing their homework outside under the sun. The best thing is wearing a pair of sunglasses and letting your Spotify play from your Bluetooth speaker with some friends. Let the sun get soak into your skin and see it glow—not necessarily for a tan (although it wouldn’t hurt), but the feeling of the sun on your skin is the absolute best. Something about it I find so satisfying. Who doesn’t thrive under the sun?

1:  Dogs

Now this is really the BEST! You can’t argue with me how amazing it is to be able to walk around on campus and see dogs walking, too. Seeing a dog on campus is basically the number one thing that can go right with someone’s day, whether it was already going well or had been going downhill. I am incredibly excited to see little pups on campus and pet every single one!

Maybe this list does not exactly follow your own reasons why you are excited for spring, and maybe you have so many more reasons besides these. But when I think of spring, these are the top 10 awesome things I instantly think about. Don’t lose your motivation—spring is almost here!

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.