Spring Concert Brings SoMo To WSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

If you are looking for something to do other than your typical Saturday night in Winona, you are in luck.  For those who don’t know, the spring concert is this weekend.  SoMo will be performing in the McCown Fieldhouse at 8:30 p.m.  I’m sure you know him as the guy who sings “Ride” or does amazing covers/remixes of popular songs, but here’s your chance to get to know him a little better before you see him live!

A couple years ago, SoMo (aka Joseph Somers-Morales) was an R&B singer living in a small town in Texas.  He had an amazing voice but was having trouble standing out in the crowd.  His first mixtape, titled My Life, created his first hit “Ride”, which started selling 10,000 digital tracks weekly. As “Ride” continued to gain energy, SoMo hit the road for a sold out tour.  Amazed by all of his independent success, he was offered a deal from Republic Records in October of 2013.

In 2014, SoMo released his self-titled debut album, which was #6 on the Billboard charts and #1 of the iTunes Album Chart. “Ride” was certified platinum and continued to stay in the Top 10 of the iTunes chart for 25 weeks straight.

SoMo also released a cover song every single Sunday as part of his “SoMo Sunday” campaign.  He offered new music each week, which has earned him nearly 225 million views on YouTube.  Here are his top cover songs that will definitely convince you to go buy a ticket if you haven’t already.  I’m sure he will be performing some on Saturday!

1.     Cool Kids – Echosmith

2.     Started From The Bottom – Drake

3.     Buy You A Drink – T-Pain

4.     Slow Motion – Trey Songz  

5.     Talking Body – Tove Lo

6.     Ignition – R. Kelly

7.     Waves – Mr. Probz

8.     Or Nah – The Weekend

9.     Young and Beautiful – Lana Del Rey

10.   Jealous – Nick Jonas

Can Saturday come any sooner?! We can’t wait to finally see SoMo live after all these years watching his music videos. Tickets are still on sale. They are $15 for students with a current WSU student ID and $25 for the general public. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and special guest DEV will perform at 7:30.  

Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.