Spooktacular Scary Movies to Watch This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With the spooky season fast approaching for many (or if you’re like me, it started August 31st at midnight), finding what to watch is critical for an amazing Halloween. With the winds getting harsher and the days getting longer, there is nothing better than being able to cozy up with your favorite people and watch a scary movie. Whether you’re a horror movie fanatic or just love a good scare, there are many scary movies to choose from that can fit any need or scenario. The question is though: what is worth watching?

Personally, I am a year-round scary movie kind of gal, but for many, I know that that may not be the case. It can be intimidating trying to figure out what will be too scary or not scary enough and what will actually be worth an hour and a half of your time or what you will regret. 

Well, look no further. I have compiled a list of many different types of scary movies—including horror, slasher, thriller, suspense, and more. And for my scaredy-cats out there, I will be ranking these from what I believe are the least scary to the scariest movie I have ever seen.

1.   Devil

I thought that I would start us off with one of my favorites. This movie is all about mystery and a bit of gore. A handful of strangers are trapped in an elevator when they mysteriously start dying one-by-one every time the lights go out. A rescue team and police force are simultaneously watching from cameras to desperately try and keep these people alive and get them out. The ending has an amazing twist and is perfect for people who want a bit of mystery and suspense but don’t need all the work.

2. The Saw Series

Now you may be wondering why this is ranked low on the scary scale for it being such a famous series. That’s because what Saw lacks in jump scares, it compensates with gore and twists. Now, let me clarify: the Saw movies are not for everyone (even I cannot stomach a few) but if you can handle the gore, they are an amazing cult classic to experience.

3.   As Above So Below

This movie is actually one of my favorite scary movies of all time. This, I will admit, does have a few jump scares but it is more about the mystery and experience that the travelers go on. A group of people visit the catacombs in Paris under request by a philosopher who is in search of the Philosopher’s Stone. But like any good scary movie, things do not go as planned when they become trapped in the tunnels, frantically trying to find a way out. The deeper they go, the scarier it gets. I thoroughly enjoyed the use of philosopher knowledge that is used and parts of it reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie!

4.   Paranormal Activity Series

This series was widely popular a few years ago. It is a great middle-ground between no jump scares and horror movies made for veterans. The use of a camera is a nice touch and makes things super interesting. I can admit, even I jump at a few parts. The storylines are also all very in-depth and you really get to know the characters. The first few build off one another and it is always fun to follow the story as it progresses.

5.   The First Annabelle Movie

I could not possibly think to write a post about horror movies and not include some of the most infamous ones. Out of the entire Conjuring series, I believe that the very first Annabelle movie is the tamest of them all. This is a great starter for friends that can handle a bit of scare but not too extreme.

6.   Insidious Series

This was one of the first series that I ever experienced, and I can confidently tell you that it is one of my favorites! The entire series follows a family that is experiencing paranormal activity after their son goes into a coma. There are twists, turns, jump scares, ghosts, and mediums (the ghost communicating kind, not the math kind don’t worry). Everything you would ever need in a scary movie is here. Insidious is perfect for people who want a Conjuring feel but just can’t handle the actual Conjuring movies.

7.   The Conjuring 2

Even though it is a bit out of order to give you the second conjuring first, it personally just fits. The first conjuring was incredibly scary, and I would say is an amazing film (hence why it is at number eight). The second one is also phenomenal but I did not find it as scary because it just did not have the same wow factor. It is still, however, an amazing addition to the entire Conjuring world as it is the first, real introduction of The Nun.

8.   The Conjuring

This is an amazing movie and I have watched it so many times that I have lost count. It is a classic horror movie that is filled with amazing actors and storylines. The fact that it is based on a true story adds an even nicer touch (seeing the photos at the end of the movie really gave me goosebumps).

9.   Annabelle Creation

This movie is, in my opinion, the scariest in the Annabelle series. The storyline is well-thought-out, and the jump scares are well placed. I do not jump at many scary movies but this one had me hiding behind a blanket. It is very interesting to be able to see the story behind Annabelle and the build-up to the ending is amazing. There is also a connection that is made back to the very first Annabelle which, I think, is why this movie has a special place in my heart. 

10. Evil Dead

This movie is not for the faint of heart. It has gore, jump scares, adult content, and lots of gruesomeness. Evil Dead is a cult classic and there is an obvious reason for this: it permanently shaped the horror movie franchise. It is an amazing movie but, even for me, it was a lot. I enjoyed how well done it is, but I have only been able to watch it a handful of times in my entire life. If you are bored of regular horror movies, I recommend this one––but you have been warned.

There are so many more horror movies that I could list but then this article would be 100 pages long. These are my top ten to get you through the first month of the best time of year (or if you are excited like me, maybe the first week). Remember to make some pumpkin-shaped/flavored cookies, grab a blanket, light a fall-scented candle, find someone to watch them with, and don’t forget to turn off the lights. No closing your eyes… that’s cheating! Have a Spooktacular, scare-filled Halloween season from one scary movie nerd to another.

Hello! My name is Maddie and I am currently a junior at Winona State University. I am majoring in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching in hopes that one day I can help other students to enjoy reading just as much as I do. When I am not working towards that, you can find me with friends, reading, writing, or binge-watching my favorite shows and movies.