Soothing Cinema: My Emotional Support Movies Getting Me Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Finals week, am I right?

I know I type a lot of random screaming to summarize my thoughts on a lot of these articles, but I think we all need one.

Say it with me (maybe internally, if you’re reading this in places where people can hear you):

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Alright… since that’s out of the way, I have a little list of movies and TV shows I watch when I feel like everything is out of control— like right now. I’m so stressed I can’t feel my face. Send help.

So, here are these bad boys. We’re gonna watch them together. In spirit.

Movies:

Always Be My Maybe (2019)— I know I’ve written about this before, but I truly enjoy it. It’s the right amount of irreverent and sweet. Celebrity chef Sasha Tran (played by Ali Wong) returns to her hometown to start another restaurant and reunites with her childhood crush, Marcus Kim (played by Randall Park). Keeanu Reeves is there. High-key recommend. Also, the “song” by fictional band Hello Peril that plays during the credits was just *chef’s kiss*. Available on Netflix.

Into The Spiderverse (2018)— Yes, I know you’re saying “Megan, that’s a kids movie, be real with us here.” Yes. It’s an animated superhero movie. I enjoy it. I relate to Peter B. Parker so much. Adults can watch animated movies; just don’t make it weird, dudes. Teenager Miles Morales becomes the new Spider-Man and is met by some otherworldly guests who need his help to keep the fabric of time and space from sucking the world into something bad. Available on Netflix.

The Hustle (2019)— Anytime you put Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway in a movie together, it’s going to be good. I watched this with my mom and dad, and they thought it was hilarious too. It was just about safe enough to watch with grandparents; but unless they’re really cool, I might skip it. Available on Hulu.

Shows:

The Good Place (2016-2020)— It’s my favorite TV show ever. I know every single line. You can give me an episode and a preceding line, and I can tell you the next line and the characters who said it. In this show, Eleanor Shellstrop (played by Kristin Bell) arrives in the Good Place and must earn her stay. If I told you literally anything else, it would spoil the show. It’s honestly masterful. Available on Hulu and Netflix.

New Girl (2011-2018)— Still a comedy for you, New Girl’s loft is honestly squad goals. Teacher Jessica Day (played by Zoey Deschanel) moves into a loft with three guys who are renting out a room. Chaos ensues. Some of the humor is dicey in terms of political correctness, but most of the show is enjoyable. Available on Netflix.

Haven (2010-2015)— Taking place in Haven, Maine (not a real place, unfortunately), FBI agent Audrey Parker (played by Emily Rose) arrives in town and discovers that the small town has some supernatural secrets. Now, this isn’t a comedy, but I still enjoy watching these goofy goobers trying to fix the supernatural problems and their unknown source. Available on Netflix.

Ghost Whisperer (2005-2010)— There’s almost too much happy couple stuff in this show for me and not enough ghosts. Melinda Gordon (played by Jennifer Love Hewwitt) moves into a fixer-upper with her husband, Jim, and starts up an antique shop in town. Also, she sees ghosts. A lot. Available on Hulu.

And that’s all I got for y’all today.

Good luck with finals, guys!

Meg Chaffee is a junior at Winona State University studying History and Political Science. She hopes to teach high school social studies, because she wouldn’t be able to deal with her students eating smart glue during craft activities just because it has the word “smart” on it. She wrote a story on Watt-pad (during middle school, in an account she can no longer access) that received far too many votes for several awards, and no, she will not give you the name. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and watching The Good Place repeatedly on Netflix.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.