Songs that Deserve Recognition for Turning a Decade in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Every new year is accompanied with a realization that some of our favorite songs are also, well, older. But it never ceases to shock me when I blare my car radio and get hit with a That’s So Raven-esque vision about how many years ago my favorite bops were released. So in honor of 2019’s beginning, here are 20 iconic songs that will celebrate their 10th birthday this year.

JANUARY…

• 13: “I Run To You” by Lady Antebellum—This group’s song is one of my favorite ballads, alongside “Need You Now.” If you’re ever in need of a slower pop-country addition to a playlist, this is one I would definitely recommend.

• 20: “Halo” by Beyonce—Queen Bey’s mention on this list shows just how extensive her reign of the pop charts has been and will continue to be. My favorite lines of the song have to be “You’re everything I need and more / It’s written all over your face / Baby, I can feel your halo / Pray it won’t fade away.”

FEBRUARY…

• 19: “Rude Boy” by Rihanna—This song holds so many sassy middle school jam session memories. While this isn’t Rihanna’s only appearance on my list, this one is a personal favorite.

MARCH…

• 2: “People Are Crazy” by Billy Currington—This song, especially the line, “God is good / beer is great / and people are crazy” is one that will randomly get stuck in my head. It’s a wholesome song with three little truths as a chorus which I can only imagine will continue to age gracefully in the country realm (and in my heart as well).

• 5: “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus—I am certain I’m not the only one to put this song on full blast and have an “emotional-look-out-the-window-and-pretend-it’s-cinematic-artistry” moment with this song. It’s just too GOOD. Heck, I still have those types of moments when it comes on my shuffle.

• 31: “Boom Boom Pow” by Black Eyed Peas—The Black Eyed Peas really outdid themselves with this catchy tune. The segment, “I’m so 3008 / You so 2000 and late” still serves as a great diss, even a decade later.

APRIL…

• 24: “Fire Burning” by Sean Kingston—If this song wasn’t a staple in middle school dance setlists, I’m truly sorry. This song is an ideal one for me to, like the song says, bust a move until there’s a “fire burning on the dance floor.”

MAY…

• 5: “Whatcha Say” by Jason Derulo—Sure, this song is pretty simple with lots of repeat verses of its title. But if I was told this song turned 10 this year before starting this article, I would’ve said, “Whatcha say?”

• 11: “Good Girls Go Bad” by Cobra Starship—This song is another middle school anthem because, at least for me, it provided a poppy taste of mild-mannered rebellious behavior.

• 18: “One Time” by Justin Bieber—I’m only a little ashamed to say I classified myself as a “Belieber.” The song was definitely one I have been swooning over for ten years. The lyrics are SO corny but just enough to be an earworm once you’ve played it. My favorite line “when I met you, girl, my heart went knock knock knock / now them butterflies in my stomach won’t stop stop stop” perfectly encapsulates a puppy-love feeling and it’s hard for me to play this song just “One Time” when I remember how much I like it.

• 25: “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay—I really have enjoyed listening to the evolution of Coldplay’s music, and this song is one that remains good no matter how old. It also reminds me a little of my Western Civ class from last year.

JUNE…

• 16: “Best I Ever Had” by Drake—I don’t typically describe rap as a genre of music I seek out, but Drake is an artist I gravitate towards when I’m in the mood for that type of music. For ten years now, my unofficial life motto has been the memorable line “sweatpants, hair tied up, chilling with no makeup on.” Drake: letting girls embrace their most comfortable way of life for ten years.

• 23: “I Gotta Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas—This is the BEP’s second appearance on the list, and this song is a bonafide bop to get any crowd in the mood to party. “I Gotta Feeling” that once you hear this song, it’ll make a feature in any playlist for a night of fun.

JULY…

• 14: “Fireflies” by Owl City—Even just the beginning melodious wind chimes and synthesizer brings so much nostalgia for my younger self. It’s a quirky little song that brings some whimsy and wonder to any ears who fall upon it.

AUGUST…

• 11: “So What” by P!nk—P!nk’s presence on this list makes perfect sense because I’ve been sassily singing this song since my age was single digits. The line “so what, I’m still a rockstar / I got my rock moves / and I don’t need you tonight” is empowering and lends itself to loads of attitude when this song hits the airwaves.

• 11: “Party In The U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus—This one shook me to the core when I found out it was TEN years old; it may have even sparked my inspiration for the entire article. Whether she was performing as Hannah Montana or individually as Miley Cyrus, I’d be hard-pressed to imagine a time in my life when I wouldn’t be able to belt out every word. Truly whenever this song comes on, there is cause for a “Party in the U.S.A.”

SEPTEMBER…

• 2: “Miss Independent” by Ne-Yo—This song by Ne-Yo has been one to encourage girls everywhere to embrace their Miss Independent attitude. The girl he’s singing about in this song probably wouldn’t even need help blowing out birthday candles for a ten-year song celebration!

OCTOBER…

• 20: “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga—I remember when this song first came out, and it’s been catchy ever since. Gaga’s musical abilities have only grown since then, and it would explain all the “Paparazzi” who’ve been trying to capture her performance prowess for an entire decade.

NOVEMBER…

• 22: “Heartless” by Kanye West—”How could you be so heartless,” I thought to myself as this song almost slipped my mind while compiling this article. It’s unexplainably catchy, and even though I’m not always a Kanye fan, this one is a favorite.

DECEMBER…

• 13: “Disturbia” by Rihanna—The beginning “bum bum be-dum bum bum be-dum bum” (2x) is enough to send me into an excited fervor as the song continues to play. Amid the catchy chorus and beat, the lyrics are really poetic on their own. Rihanna is two-for-two on the spectrum of stellar songs that hit double digits this year.

Although there are many other songs which turn 10 years old in 2019, these are a few which shocked me (and also prompted me to make a playlist with some old-school jams). I hope your new year thus far has been music to the ears… and if you’re looking for some songs to rediscover, feel free to wish some of these a happy tenth birthday!

Sources

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.