This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As a consumer, you should be thinking of how you spend your money and who it is going to. There are numerous companies that captivate helpless animals in their facilities and run tests causing pain, discomfort, and often times death. According to Cruelty-Free Kitty, “worldwide, 100,000 to 200,000 animals suffer and die in animal experiments every year. Most commonly the animals used are bunnies, mice, rats, and guinea pigs,”. There are so many successful brands that are cruelty-free ranging from haircare, makeup, skincare, etc. There really is no need to give companies that torture animals your hard-earned cash– it is just not necessary. With that in mind, here are some ways you can transition to using cruelty-free products:

1. Do Research

The term “cruelty-free” is not regulated, so any brand could put a false label and not have any legal repercussions. This marketing technique is vile and tricks the consumer. It is important to look into brands that have the certified cruelty-free logo such as “Leaping Bunny,” “Choose Cruelty-Free,” and “PETA.” 

2. Make a Gradual Effort

Don’t just throw out all of your products at once. Just because something you currently own is not cruelty-free doesn’t mean you should discard it at that very moment. This can lead to the feeling of overwhelming pressure. Try to make a gradual change and replace your products over time. It is important to use what you have and get use out of your products. The next time you go shopping, make the conscious effort to purchase products that display any of the three cruelty-free labels listed above.

3. Use Cruelty-Free Kitty’s Product Finder

“Cruelty-Free Kitty” is a great resource that educates their audience on brands that are truly cruelty-free. Their goal is to communicate the horrible impact animal testing has and to make a difference by suggesting brands that are cruelty-free. Their website is organized, easy to use, and lists a variety of companies that choose to not test on innocent animals. You can find their lists here.

4. Gravitate Toward Small Businesses

There are so many talented people who create their own products. Often times, these small businesses skip the harsh chemicals and use natural ingredients instead. This goes to show how unnecessary animal testing can be. Not only will you be helping small-business owners build their brand, but you will also be saving an animal’s life.

5. Discover New Brands

Repeatedly purchasing the same products can get boring after some time. The market is filled with numerous brands that say no to animal testing and support a good cause. Nowadays, your resources are anything but limited. On top of that, it can be so much fun when you discover a new cruelty-free product that works for you.

Most companies only care about one thing: money. Don’t support the brands that lie to you or kill animals for the sake of business. Remember you’re making a difference by switching to cruelty-free products. Choose companies that are kind to animals, the environment, and your personal health.

Maiah Lan

Winona '23