Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Red, White & Just for You: Honoring MilSOs on Veterans Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

When it comes to Veterans Day, it’s customary to thank the men and women in our Armed Forces for their service—read my Veterans Day-themed article from last year, in which I thank the friends and family in my life who either have served or are currently serving in the military. 

However, we tend to forget that the families of service members also make many sacrifices while supporting their veteran(s). In other words, they serve, too!

Alongside Veterans Day, November is Military Family Month, and a very important member of any serviceman or servicewoman’s family is their significant other. Luckily for military significant others (or MilSOs, for short), there’s a wonderful subscription service that honors the daily challenges that come with being the girlfriend, fiancé or wife of a veteran: MilSO Box!

Unsplash

Meet the creator

MilSO Box was developed by the beautiful Lindsay Hinger, who’s a United States Air Force Veteran. Although she wasn’t a MilSO herself, she and her husband, a male nurse who takes care of veterans at the couple’s local hospital, set out on starting their own business a few years ago. With Lindsay’s prior involvement in the military and her love of gifting, a subscription box service was right up her alley.

In an interview she had with one of her most avid YouTube subscribers, Julie Jigsaw, Lindsay talked about how there was a lack of a veteran care package intended for the significant others of servicemen and servicewomen. With her private business, not only is she now able to show her support for the MilSOs around the world, but also anyone else who wants to do the same.

Let’s talk about the goodies

In each MilSO Box, there’s a unique handful of MilSO-made, veteran-made and American-made treats (including clothing, glassware, jewelry and even sugary sweets) that follow a different monthly theme. Show your love to Julie Jigsaw, who’s a motivational Army wife, by checking out her YouTube page and watching her playlist of unboxings of previous MilSO Boxes.

Subscription options galore

Whether you’re personally a MilSO and you’d like to receive these boxes yourself, you know a close friend who’s a MilSO and could use some extra motivation during a long training session or deployment, or even if you want to donate to a random MilSO out of the kindness of your heart (bless you), there are tons of options that’ll accommodate your situation.

• If you’re interested in purchasing a monthly subscription, regardless if for yourself or for another MilSO, choose which type of subscription you’d like to pay for—you can choose from one month ($39.95/mo.), three months ($36.95/mo.) or six months ($33.95/mo.). Once you make your choice, you’ll then be asked which military branch, out of five, you’d like your boxes to be curated to. This selection can be your favorite military branch or the specific branch either your or another MilSO’s serviceman or servicewoman is actively serving in.
  • If you’re interested in making a one-time purchase or buying a previous month’s box, you can do so through “One Time Gifts”. Unlike the traditional monthly subscription boxes in which the contents are left as a surprise, you’ll be able to see what goodies are inside the boxes listed under this option.
  • If you’re interested in purchasing a box for a random MilSO worldwide, you can do so through “One Time Gifts” as well. 

woman giving a gift to another woman
Pexels / Daria Shevtsova
Show your support for a MilSO you know or don’t know, or give yourself a little love this Veterans Day with Lindsay Hinger’s MilSO Box subscription service!

Although the men and women in our Armed Forces today should be recognized as heroic, so should the girlfriends, fiancés and wives standing behind them and cheering them on.

A very special thank you to all the servicemen and servicewomen in our military, as well as all the women they get the honor of calling their significant others, for your collective service!

| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.