Please Forget Who I Was in Seventh Grade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

If you didn’t want to be my friend in seventh grade, I understand. I didn’t like middle school me either. But hey, hopefully you can relate to the statements: “I’ve changed! I’ve grown! I’ve realized my wrongs!”

These are some of the things we will never forget about middle school, but we all wish we could:

1. Miss Me jeans

If your butt isn’t sparkly then who even are you?! Miss Me jeans with flip flops? Rockin. Miss Me jeans with a whack top? You still look cute. Miss Me jeans with a North Face jacket? You’ve got it all.

2. Stick straight hair

If you don’t wake up an hour and a half early to flat iron your very curly hair, then you just aren’t committed enough. Straight. Hair. Or. Die.

3. Sparkly Ugg boots

For some reason, we all thought they really were cute and could go with everything. Unfortunately, we were very, very wrong; They are neither of those things.

4.  Sitting out from the swimming unit because of a “period”

Honey, I hadn’t even crossed that line of womanhood yet, and everyone there with me on the bench probably hadn’t either. But there was no way I was going to risk ruining my stick straight hair!

5.  The bra I didn’t really need but felt super cool for “needing” now

Wearing a regular bra AND a sports bra in gym class just to make sure you have that extra support for those AAA cups! Super unnecessary. But back then: vital.

6.  “Dating”

Oh no, honey, what are you doing? I had middle school “boyfriends”, and we didn’t even talk in person! We were not as #relationshipgoalz as we all thought.

7.  Boys?

What the—terrifying! I couldn’t be friends with the opposite gender. Literally incapable. I should have been less concerned with how they probably thought I was annoying, not pretty enough, or whatever the f*ck they were thinking (it’s irrelevant anyway). In reality, their thoughts were actually about Eminem’s new single, “I Need a Doctor” feat. Dr. Dre.

8.  My Attitude

Girlfriend, bring that down about ten notches. Sass isn’t cute. Neither is talking bad about people. And being rude to your parents and friends—SUPER not cute.

9. Duck Lips and Peace Signs

Really unsure why we did this. The world may never know.

10. Stress about Grades

Yeah, because I’m sure universities will check back and make sure I got an A++ in 7th grade history class. Did colleges even look that closely at my high school grades? Probably not.

11. Social Life (Lack of)

Did I do anything on Friday nights? No. Did I have friends? Eh. Was I awkward? Super.

12. My Starvation for Acceptance

Everything I thought mattered DIDN’T, especially popularity. Why did I want to be liked so badly by people I had nothing in common with? It’s simple; Because that made people want to be your friend, and you would get invited to things (I guess back then we had time to care about those things).

So please, PLEASE forget who I was back then. Maybe one day we will all forget how embarrassing middle school was for our souls. But for now, we just have to look back, laugh, and be really grateful that some things change!

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.