Perks Of Being A Middle Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

There are thousands of essays and studies done on “Middle Child Syndrome” and the stereotype of the neglected second-born, “the forgotten one.” I was born two years after my older sister, and two years later, my mother had my second sister. I wouldn’t trade my birth order for anything in the world. I don’t have a “syndrome” or a complex, and I’m not “stuck” in the middle. I have two best friends who have no choice but to love me.

1. Middle children have a role model for how to be a role model. 
You get the best of both worlds being a younger sibling and an older one.

2. Middle children are creative because they are forced to come up with imaginative ideas in order to get their parents attention.

3. Middle children can get away with a lot. Granted, I’m pretty tame and don’t exercise this privilege often. If I ever were to go on a rebellious spree it would never be as bad compared to the oldest child, and by that time the youngest probably already did it.

4. You will never experience the feeling of watching all of your older siblings go to college and then being left alone in the house to be smothered by your parents.

5. Middle children are diplomatic. After all, we’ve spent years perfecting the art of negotiation, whereas older children could simply demand and youngest children whined.

6. Chances are you’ve shared a room at some point in your life, making you a well-practiced college roommate.

7. More likely than not, you will have some of the same teachers as your over-achieving eldest sibling, so teachers might give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are as obliging of a student.

Overall, us middle children are victims of our older sibling, tormentor of our younger sibling and somehow, peacekeeper between both of them. Cherish the fact you’re stuck in the middle.

This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.  
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.