This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Peanut butter: a paste of ground roasted peanuts, usually eaten spread on bread. Okay, Google, we college students can’t always afford bread. But in all honesty, peanut butter on a spoon is one of the best things that’s happened to college students. No time to eat? Spoonful of peanut butter. No bread? Spoonful of peanut butter. No money? Finger and free sample of peanut butter from Perkins. I’ve rounded up my favorite peanut butter recipes that check off healthy, quick, simple, affordable, and addictive.

Peanut Butter Toast

1

Bet you didn’t think this would be on the list! Well, this peanut butter toast can be as easy or as complicated as you want. Find a piece of bread, spread peanut butter on it. OR:

1.     Spread pb on large piece of toast.

2.     Add slices of banana.

3.     Drizzle on honey or agave nectar.

4.     Add granola for crunch.

This is one of the quickest snacks to make on the spot and will keep you full longer than a simple granola bar would.

Peanut Butter Energy Bites

2

These are great on-the-go snacks for those days when you have a maximum of 10 minutes to walk across campus for your classes.

1.     Mix together 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter, 1 cup old fashioned oats, ½ cup ground flax seeds, and 2 tbsp. of honey.

2.     Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.

3.     Roll into bite-sized spheres.

These stay good for a week in the fridge or longer in the freezer. Incorporate chocolate chips for an added sweetness! Recipe at www.chefsavvy.com.

Caffeinated Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

3

1.     Combine 1 ripe banana, ½ cup coffee, ½ cup milk, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, 1 tbsp. agave nectar, and 1 cup ice in a blender until smooth.

This drink is perfect for those 8am lectures. You can drink it in class instead of making noise eating a snack or taking the time to make and eat breakfast. For best results, take a banana from the caf and put their coffee in your own mug. Recipe at www.prevention.com. 

Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzels

4

1.     Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals.

2.     Sandwich together two pretzels with peanut butter in the middle.

3.     Dunk pretzel halfway into chocolate. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Let harden before eating.

These are a great snack for those with a sweet tooth. Place in the freezer for extended longevity.

Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars

5

Because a bowl of cereal really won’t fill you up.

1.     Cook ¾ cup peanut butter and ½ cup honey over medium heat. Stir constantly until there’s no separation.

2.     Mix in 3 cups of Cheerios, off of the heat.

3.     Once everything is coated, press mixture into an aluminum foil-lined 8×8 pan.

4.     Place in fridge for 1 hour before cutting and serving.

This recipe is great when your mom buys you that family-size box of cereal that you know you won’t eat all of. Replace Cheerios for your favorite kind of cereal! Recipe at www.ourfamilyofseven.com. 

Each of the recipes can be easily manipulated to your liking. Swap peanut butter for almond butter or add nuts, raisins, and other toppings. No matter how hungry you are or what your preference is, these recipes are great for any college kid out there.

Gretchen is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Health Ed and Phy Ed with minors in Adaptive PE and Adventure Ed! She enjoys all things outdoors, she's a peanut butter fanatic, and Proverbs 31:26 is her favorite Bible verse. Gretchen is an RA in the resident halls and a Small Group Leader for a campus ministry, and she enjoys all the Lord equips her to do!
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.