An Open Letter to the One Who Gave Up on Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear You,

With thoughts and emotions so heavy I hope you read this with the full intent of understanding what I have to say. Hearing what I have to say may not have always been your strong suit, but what is left behind leaves novels of questions and heartache.

I genuinely hope you have found peace and hopefulness. You went from telling me “I will never ever hurt you” to breaking every amount of trust I could have in a person. They always say nothing is ever what it seems, but it sure seemed like we had everything together. I will miss the late-night phone calls, sneaking out to see you and all the laughs we shared together, but as I attempt to relive those moments, I’m clouded by “I don’t love you anymore.”

I gave up time with family, let friendships loosen their tight bond and lost all concern for those around me when you were in my presence. Though I thought I was so deeply in love, maybe I really wasn’t.

That day you had had enough of me and let me go. Years of love didn’t make a difference, but I was foolish enough to think so and tried to get you back. You already had the control you wanted, but I gave you more. Love can be so blinding and bold, but love should never beg. Your heart was elsewhere and though I wanted what we had before, I should’ve respected MYSELF and walked away.

Please, take care. Let yourself love unconditionally and don’t make promises you cannot keep. Love is not a game and I hope it finds you full and complete. Giving up on relationships and friendships is never easy, but sometimes necessary for you to live your life to the fullest.

Take care,

Me

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.