An Open Letter to My Longtime Nanny Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Being a nanny for the family I have been with is everything and nothing I had expected all at the same time. I was blessed with working for a family who soon became my very own.

Since I was in middle school, I tag-teamed with my older sister Hannah as a nannying duo. Occasionally over the summer, I would go babysit when Hannah couldn’t make it. As I got older and Hannah got busier, we started to make an every-other-day schedule with the kids for when they would see Hannah or I. Time went on, and I continued to babysit more and more until I considered myself a nanny and watched them full-time. 

Considering I’ve been with these kids since I was in middle school, they’re hardly “kids” anymore. Jillian, the oldest, is now a sophomore in high school and Reid, the youngest, is a big sixth grader this year. As you can imagine, it is a whole different experience nannying a teenager and a young man going into middle school. While it was different than the traditional nanny role, it was nevertheless an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world. 

After years of nannying and spending my summers with my nanny family, it was a bittersweet ending when I left, knowing Jillian and Reid have grown and matured so much and have so many great things ahead of them. But, I know just as much for myself in terms of school, my career and for my future. After years of nannying my little rugrats, here is an open letter to you all.    

Heidi—Heidi, I do not know what I would do without you and your family. You’re a second mom to me, and your family is now my family. Spending all my time with Jillian and Reid tired me out, but even more so, was rewarding. I feel blessed to have worked with your family; I truly couldn’t have asked for a better job. In terms of a job and an extension of my own family, you blessed with two of the greatest kinds. Thank you a million for everything you have ever given me; I am beyond grateful for you and your family. I am so excited to see where your life goes with the new additions to your family and see so many great things for you all. You are such an amazing woman and have given me so much advice, help and support that you probably do not know you had even given me. Jillian and Reid are so lucky to have you as their mom, and now Grant and Mya are blessed as well. You’re so honest and open, and you have taught me so many different things, like how to embrace life. You also knew when to put me in my place. Thank you for welcoming me into your life and letting me stick around for so long. I feel so incredibly blessed to have gotten to watch your family grow immensely over the years, and I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for all of you. Love you, Heidi.        

Jillian—My Jilly Bean, gosh, I don’t even know where to start. You have matured so incredibly much since I first met you, Jillian. Now you’re driving! Nothing was more strange than being in the car as you drove because when I first met you, you were hardly able to ride your bike. That’s an exaggeration, of course, because you have always excelled at everything and never fail to amaze me at what you can do, what you’ve mastered or what new thing you’ve learned. You’re such a brilliant young woman and I try not to say that too often, but it is well-deserved at this moment. Watching you mature over the years has been amazing. You have grown up and matured into not only a teenager, but also a very mature young adult. You’re an amazing dancer, and I am so happy you continue to dance and have built an awesome friend group out of it. I don’t miss you forcing me to be in your Tik-Toks, but I do miss watching you and Reid dance together and make stupid little dances that were actually quite adorable. Now that you have grown and matured so much, I cannot wait to see what else the world has in store for you. I know you are going to do big things, and I truly cannot wait to see what the world has in store for you. Never stop dreaming big because I know you can do anything you set your mind to. Love and miss you lots, Jillian <3 (P.S. You’ll be proud of me—I have not bought, and do not plan on buying any Oreos in college)   

Reid—My Reido Burrito, you have grown so much since I first met you that it is hard to believe. As long as I’ve known you, though, your heart has grown the most. This summer, you amazed me with how big and open your heart is. You have let the newest additions to your family in with the most welcoming of arms and never failed to love them. You showed me how important it is to love your siblings and that your heart always has room for more love to give. You have grown and matured so much and that made me so very proud of you every time you stood up for your beliefs. You are becoming such an independent young man, and it makes me sad to see my Reidy Baby grow up. But, I am also so incredibly happy and proud of you for how much you are growing, maturing and developing into your own person. I already miss playing Monopoly, watching movies, going to the pool and just hanging out with you every day. Stay young forever, please stop growing up and continue being my little Reido. Love you lots :)           

With all my love, 

Kell K (or however you spell it, I’ve never fully understood the nickname)

I love adventures in my canoe, reading, painting, running and exploring! 
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!