matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Oh, Canada! 8 Things About Justin Trudeau to Be Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Canada’s Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, won the hearts of many Canadians in the 2015 election and has since been working his way into the hearts of everyone else around the globe. In one of my classes during senior year of high school, we had to memorize about 50 different political figures around the world and my sweet, sweet Justin Trudeau was one of them. Ever since that day, I have never faltered in my admiration. I even have a Justin Trudeau calendar hanging above my bedswoon. For those of you who don’t know Justin Trudeau, or for those of you who are as big of a fan as I am, here is a list of eight reasons Justin Trudeau should have a special place in your heart.

1. The biggest heart

Justin Trudeau has done so many great things in his time as Prime Minister including going to the airport to meet Syrian refugees and personally handing out warm coats; meeting with the people of Canada to hear their stories and give a voice to everyone; and something so simple, yet so meaningful, is that he consistently puts an English and French caption on all of his photos. He will even post the same image twice just in the two different languages if the image has text. Ugh, so sweet.  

2. Equality

Justin Trudeau pushed for gender equality by having the first ever cabinet with an equal number of men and women. And the best part, when asked why all he said was “Because it’s 2015.” Trudeau often calls himself a feminist and one time was quoted saying, “If you’re a progressive, you really should be a feminist because it’s about equality. It’s about respect. It’s about making the best of the world that we have.”   

3. Honesty

Justin Trudeau has been nothing but honest about his drug use and his reasoning for wanting to legalize marijuana. Trudeau never apologizes for this and he uses his experiences to help explain his reasoning.

4. His tattoo

This man is a world leader and he has a big ol’ tattoo on his tricep. It is quite rare for world leaders to have tattoos, but Trudeau defies the norm and shows off his tattoo often.

5. Family

The Trudeau family is perfect. Trudeau’s wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, used to be a television host and she is involved in a lot of charity work. She focuses mainly on women’s and children’s issues around the world. Trudeau has three beautiful children, as well: Hadrien (5), Xavier James (11), and Ella-Grace Margaret (10). Trudeau can be seen with his family at parades, events, or just out and about spending time with thema real family man.  

6. More Equality

Trudeau is big on LGBTQ+ rights as well and pushes for equality for everyone. Not only does he stand up for equality, but also he celebrates at the LGBTQ+ Pride Parades every year.

7. Wanted to be a teacher

Trudeau has a Bachelor’s degree from McGill University in literature, as well as a Bachelor’s of Education that he started at McGill and completed at the University of British Columbia. Trudeau is not only the Prime Minister of Canada but also he is a mega-nerd who loves teaching and literature—how precious.

8. So darn handsome

Ohh la, lajust look at the guy!  

If I haven’t convinced you enough, maybe the Queen of England will—even she is obsessed. Just look at that smile on her face.

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I love adventures in my canoe, reading, painting, running and exploring! 
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.