National Care Bears Share Your Care Day: 10 Ways to Show You Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In times so devastating, it is important to show everyone that they matter. Growing up, my parents read Care Bear books to me, and I watched numerous Care Bear movies. Although I couldn’t do the “Care Bear Stare,” I could always show the people in my life how much I care through my actions. Throughout my life, I have found numerous actions to portray my caring nature; some of them came from the books and movies while others came from my own imagination. The list below shares ten of them with you!  

1. Share Your Food

In the Care Bears Storybook Treasury written by Nancy Parent and illustrated by David Stein, Share Bear made sure she had enough candy bars for all of her friends. In real life, we can share a bite of food with our siblings, or we can collect and donate food to the local food shelter. 

2. Give Your Friend a Push

Good Luck Bear helped Wish Bear by giving her a push on the swing. However, there are many ways we can push our friends. If they are in a wheelchair, give their arms a rest. Maybe their car is stuck in the driveway, but you can help them. Maybe your friend is struggling with their determination in school; try inspiring them and pushing them to their goals.

3. Share Your Shield

Sometimes it downpours when we least expect it. If you have an umbrella, offer to share it with somebody else who it caught in the rain. Grumpy Bear shares his umbrella with Friend Bear when it starts raining. 

4. Support the Sick

When people get sick, they usually feel weak. After all, their bodies are fighting an illness from the inside. When someone is feeling this way, offer to make them food or bring them water. This will make a world of difference for some people. 

5. Produce a Smile

Sometimes this is easier said than done, but the effort is worth it. When people are down, being around positive energy is sometimes really helpful.

6. Offer a Hug or Your Presence

There have been some studies that prove hugging helps lower stress or depression levels. However, some people aren’t comfortable with physical affection, so they prefer the presence of people instead. No matter what, the people you help will look back and recognize who was there for them and who wasn’t.

7. Recognizing Equality and Equity

Discrimination happens way too often. People get judged by their mental capacity, race, health issues, age and so much more. As sad as it is, it is sometimes scary to step up. However, if you are with someone or around someone who is being discriminated against, stand up for them and take action. I can almost guarantee you that person will be appreciative.

8. Picking Up Litter

You don’t have to only show care to humans. By picking up litter, you are showing you care about other animals and the environment!

9. Listen

Sometimes all we need is someone to listen to us rant and unbottle our feelings. This is one of the best ways to show someone that you care. Don’t just be present; listen to what they have to say.

10. Provide Information

While we want to be the cure for our friends’ troubles, it isn’t always possible. Every once in a while, extra support is needed. By offering your friends additional information to support services, such as gender-based violence reporting or clinical counseling, you are opening your friends’ eyes to the numerous outlets they have available to them.

Life is hard. Society is mean. Be a helping friend by showing you care. The Care Bears make it a full-time job to care, but it isn’t as hard as it sounds. All you have to do is be the person you want in your life, and that will be your own personal “Care Bear Stare.”

Happy National Care Bears Share Your Care Day!

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.