This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

This year I was a resident assistant (RA) in Prentiss-Lucas Hall. I was on the first floor of Lucas and was blessed with some of the best residents ever, and I wrote them a “thank you” earlier this school year. Even though residents are a big part of my job being an RA, there is so much more to the job and I have learned so much through it.

I love my staff.

Co-workers can be a tricky thing. You get along great with some and not so great with others, but luckily for me, my staff all got along pretty well. Sure, we had our differences (trust me, we’re not perfect), but overall, we were able to compromise and get over the drama or whatever else we came across. We truly grew as a team and a family and I literally could not ask for a better staff. Thank you to everyone: HD, AD, other RAs, and even Hall Council. You guys were all amazing and I am so glad that I was able to meet you. My hope is that we stay in contact with each other over the years because of the experience we have gained together.  

I learned a lot about myself.

They say that college is a time in your life where you learn more about yourself because you are experiencing so many different things that you have not been exposed to before. I really grew as a person through my year as an RA: I became a productive team player, a better leader, and more responsible than I thought I would be. I had never been responsible for almost 40 people all the time, or the whole building when I was on duty. I had to make decisions that I never thought I would have to make, but I knew that they were the right decisions.

The job applies to everyday life.

About the first week and a half before welcome week, all the RAs and ADs return to campus and go through some long, intense, but very beneficial training. Though we were getting trained for being an RA, so much of what we learned can be applied to everyday life, such as CAREfronations, resilience, and working as a team. I use my training in my daily life and I can see these training skills being applied to my future career.   

I know my limits.

You are really pushed to your max when you are an RA. You are constantly busy, whether that be with duty nights, creating new bulletin boards and door decorations for your floor, conducting health and safety checks . . . the list literally never ends! Then you still have your academics to stay on top of, participating in the clubs you are involved with, working another job on campus and any other commitments you may have (hint: you cannot do it all!). By the end of first semester, I needed to recharge; winter break could not come fast enough!

As for spring semester, I had cut back on some things to make the semester less stressful, and that has helped a lot.

The position is really, really rewarding.

On the days that I run out of energy, my residents and staff seem to spark it back up again. Just hanging out with them can make my day better. I love hearing my residents say that they loved their new door decorations or that they really appreciated a bulletin board that was made. It’s amazing to see how much they can grow as individuals, and I kinda like to think that I was a part of that. The relationship that is formed between the residents and the staff is unique because we are making mistakes and learning together.

I have decided not to return as an RA for next school year. Don’t get me wrong—I really liked being an RA; I have learned so much about myself, others, and made some amazing connections with people that I would have never met if I had not been an RA. So many different things went into my decision, so I do not feel bad about not returning. I am grateful for the new RAs that will be coming in for the next school year and I am impressed with those who will be an RA again next year.

If you still are in contact with your RA from your year(s) in the residence hall, thank them for all the hard work they do. I have come out with a new respect for these amazing people, and I was lucky enough to be one.

Meet Linsey Taylor, one of the campus correspondents for the Winona State Her Campus chapter. Linsey is a senior majoring in Therapeutic Recreation with a minor in psychology and hopes to become a child life specialist with her degree. In her free time, Linsey enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.