This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I’ve never been a big movie buff because TV shows were always my go-to. But with quarantine, I suddenly had a lot of time on my hands to explore new movies. Since we barely go anywhere these days, movies help to scratch the travel itch while getting a glimpse of life in other parts of the world.

1. Parasite (South Korea)

“Greed and class discrimination threaten the newly formed symbiotic relationship between the wealthy Park family and the destitute Kim clan.”

Can be found on Hulu.

2. First They Killed My Father (Cambodia)

“In the 70’s, a Cambodian middle-class girl sees the lives of her family and her turning upside-down when the Khmer Rouge invades Cambodia. They leave their comfortable apartment and lifestyle to live in a primitive working camp. Her father, a former officer, is killed and the family splits to survive.”

Can be found on Netflix.

3. Atlantics (Senegal)

“Arranged to marry a rich man, young Ada is crushed when her true love goes missing at sea during a migration attempt–until a miracle reunites them.”

Can be found on Netflix.

4. Adu (Spain)

“Near a Spanish town in northern Africa, a child takes a painful journey, a father reconnects with his daughter and a coast guard is guilt-stricken.”

Can be found on Netflix 

5. Wadjda (Saudi Arabia)

“An enterprising Saudi girl signs on for her school’s Koran recitation competition as a way to raise the remaining funds she needs in order to buy the green bicycle that has captured her interest.”

Can be found on Netflix.

6. The Breadwinner (Afghanistan)

“In 2001, Afghanistan is under the control of the Taliban. When her father is captured, a determined young girl disguises herself as a boy in order to provide for her family.”

Can be found on Netflix.

7. Joy (Austria)

“Joy, a young Nigerian woman caught in the vicious cycle of sex trafficking, is instructed by her exploiter Madame to supervise Precious, a teenage girl who is not ready to accept her fate.”

Can be found on Netflix.

8. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (Malawi)

“Against all the odds, a thirteen-year-old boy in Malawi invents an unconventional way to save his family and village from famine.”

Can be found on Netflix.

9. Ave Maryam (Indonesia)

“A devoted nun who cares for her elder sisters must choose between upholding her vows or pursuing her forbidden feelings for a fascinating pastor.”

Can be found on Netflix.

For a deeper look into the films, you can learn more about them here.

Xandra Okori

Winona '21

Xandra is a senior at Winona State that enjoys dipping her toes in everything and is always up for a new adventure.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.