Movie Review: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I have always been a fan of movies based off comic books, but in the recent years life got in the way and I was not able to keep up with every movie that was released (there are A LOT). When my boyfriend suggested that we go see the new Spider-Man movie, I was a little wary of it being animated, and I just didn’t think those movies were for me anymore. Boy was I wrong.

This movie was not like the other comic universe movies because of the animation, and the animation was part of what made this movie great. This film had animation unlike any other animated movie I had ever seen. It was a work of art.

The way they made the movie look exactly as you would imagine an animated comic book would look was so interesting. It looked like a three-dimensional rendition of a comic book using the most modern animation technology.

Not only was the animation beautiful to watch, but also the storyline of the movie was incredibly entertaining. I am not an avid comic book reader, so I did not know how many versions of Spider-Man actually existed (and I still do not know all of them). I am still not sure which ones that were in the movie exist in comic book form, but the idea of having them all come together to fight in this movie was so cool to watch.

There was also a great mix of humor and serious scenes that portrayed some very good morals. There was not one part of the movie that did not fully engage me.

One aspect that I absolutely loved was their portrayal of the female Spider-Man. She was such a cool character that they developed. Being able to see a strong female lead in the role of a superhero that is usually played by a male was really awesome.

They gave her a good mix of strong female attributes while also not disregarding her femininity or some traditional female traits. She was able to have interests that were both typically feminine and typically not feminine at the same time.

Overall, I am incredibly thankful for my nerdy boyfriend for dragging me to this movie. Even if you haven’t seen any of the previous comic universe movies, I believe this is one that everyone could enjoy. Take my word for it and go see this work of art.

Cover

Lauren Lott

Winona '19

Meet Lauren Lott, she is a writer for Winona State Her Campus. Lauren is an English Literature major with a minor in Public Relations. In her free time, she enjoys reading, working out, hanging out with friends, watching an excessive amount of youtube videos, and drinking coffee.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.