From the Moon to Mars: An Explanation of NASA’s Artemis Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Over the years, rumors about civilization on the moon have circulated around, but those rumors are finally becoming a reality through the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) Artemis Program. While the Artemis Program’s main goal is to eventually land astronauts on Mars, sending astronauts to the moon is an important step along the way.

In 2009, NASA released the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), which is a robotic spacecraft that orbits the moon and maps the surface. The data collected by the LRO is important in planning future trips to the moon. On the LRO, there is a tool called the Lyman Alpha Mapping Project (LAMP). LAMP is used to find water on the moon.

Within the past decade, NASA found pockets of water molecules on the moon’s surface (the technical term for this is the regolith). This has caused renewed interest in the moon since water is needed to sustain any walk of life. With the renewed interest among NASA scientists, the Artemis Program was created.

The program was named after the Greek mythology goddess Artemis, twin sister of Apollo. The program aims to land the first female astronaut and the next male astronaut on the moon by 2024. By 2028, with extremely generous donations and collaborative work with other countries, NASA plans to achieve sustainable exploration. On every trip, they want to leave new technology that will sustain humans on the moon. NASA is building technology with sustainable architecture including the Orion Spacecraft. This spacecraft will be the main exploration vehicle that is used to transport astronauts to the moon, sustain them while they are there, and safely transport them back to Earth. 

This program hasn’t been in the media much, but the workings are already underway. NASA has started building the sustainable technology and even released the spacesuit that astronauts are going to wear. I don’t know about you, but I am extremely excited to see what will be accomplished in the next decade.

Thank you for reading! I plan on keeping you updated with the progress of the Artemis Program, but, for now, I am now departing in 3… 2… 1… 

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!