This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Emotional Support Animals (ESA’s) are classified as animals that benefit or assist a person with certain emotional or psychiatric conditions. They can come in all different shapes and sizes and can be very useful for people of all ages. The most common conditions that people with ESA’s struggle with include anxiety, depression or panic attacks. ESA’s provide companionship and are almost always trained to detect when a person is having a panic attack or any kind of medical episode (especially if they are a service animal). ESA’s are typically (but not limited to) dogs and cats. However, I’d like you to meet my unique, cuddly ESA: Willow.

Willow is an eight-month-old Rex rabbit. She loves yogurt treats (particularly carrot ones) and banana chips. She spends much of her time hopping and rolling around or eating the sides of the couch… oops! She loves to cuddle and play with her wooden carrots in her free time, as well as pose for mommy’s frequent photoshoots. She is so sweet and energetic, and I already love her to death; however, not every day is all fun and games.

Having a rabbit is super fun, but it took a lot of work to get her approved as an ESA. Because so many people abuse having an ESA, it makes it nearly impossible for people who actually need them to have them approved in a timely manner. For me, the process of getting Willow took multiple months. I had to prove that I was “struggling enough” in order to be eligible for an ESA. I personally struggle with anxiety that makes every day a battle. You may think, “Well, how can a rabbit assist someone with anxiety?” For me, taking care of another living being already helps. Knowing that I have an animal to take care of makes it easier for me to get out of bed in the morning. Having a set schedule for feeding Willow and letting her run around is also beneficial for me because it gives my days structure and puts my anxiety about the upcoming day at ease.

When I was younger, I grew up with cats in the house. I always had a cat that chose me. Those cats were Kasha and Paka (depending on how old I was). The cats could sense when I was sad or having a bad day. On those days, they were extra cuddly with me. I think most animals have a knack for sensing human emotion. Even though Willow may “just be a rabbit,” I’ve already noticed how she comforts me when my stressors or anxiety is high. Sometimes it can be as simple as nudging my leg or my arm when I’m crying or flopping like a fish when I need some comedic relief.

All in all, I think that everyone could benefit from having an Emotional Support Animal. I don’t think it matters whether it’s your adorable tabby cat from your childhood or your highly trained border collie—animals have a special connection with humans that can positively alter our moods and maybe even keep us alive. Sometimes our most cherished relationships are with our favorite furry friends.

Taylor is a sophomore at Winona State majoring in Social Work and minoring in Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies where she hopes to become a social worker for survivors of sexual assault or possibly a social worker to help parents within the LGBTQ+ community when adopting children. She is from a suburb of Saint Paul Minnesota and has been an advocate of human rights since probably the beginning of time. This is Taylor’s first year in Her Campus, and she would like to create a safe and friendly environment to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of the world. When she is not in class, you can find Taylor at the Lutheran Campus Center or anywhere there is an opportunity to speak out about the social injustices of the world.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.