This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Name: Austin Opfer

Major: Bachelors in Public Relations. Graduate Studies: Master’s Program, Organizational Leadership

Hometown: Springfield, Missouri

Year: 1st year Graduate Student

Meet Austin Opfer; who balances being a first-year graduate student in Organizational Leadership, a player on the Winona State Football team and working in the University Communications office.

Her Campus (HC): Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Austin Opfer (AO):  Born and raised in Missouri and decided Winona State was the home for me after a few recruiting visits; my parents are also alumni to the University. I grew up with three sisters until we adopted my brother in high school and now he also attends WSU and played football with me. My biggest passions are music and being around all my friends. I also enjoy cooking, fitness and reading when I have the down time.

HC:  How long have you been playing football and how did you get involved?

AO: I’ve been playing football all my life. Since I was about 5 years old in our Mighty Mites League with my local friends. We grew up together since kindergarten so football was another function for us to hang around each other and have fun.

HC: What has your best experience been from being on the Winona State football team?

AO: My best experience on the field was beating Mankato 2 years in a row. My overall best experiences have been the time spent with the guys outside of football. There some of my best friends, guys who will be in my wedding. Our shenanigans are always cheeky and fun.

HC:     What is your typical weekday schedule with football practices?

AO:

• 6 a.m. lifting
  • 7 a.m. position meetings
  • 8 a.m. breakfast
  • 9 a.m.-1 p.m. classes or work
  • 2-3p.m. Practice prep (taping, treatment, heating, stretching, etc.)
  • 3:30-5:30 p.m. Practice
  • 6 p.m. dinner
  • 7-8 p.m. additional football functions such as meetings or yoga.
  • 9 p.m. begin homework if you have the energy.
  • 11 p.m. Sleep if you can by this time.

Repeat.

HC: How do you balance football and school?

AO: There’s not enough time in the day. We’re pretty much under the gun on a daily basis trying to get everything done. You just have to learn to manage any free time you have and muster energy to handle your academics. Football practice always took precedent though. Between a nap before practice and homework before practice it was always a nap. Your professor won’t snap in your face for missing an assignment like a coach will.

HC: What is a piece of advice you wish you would have gotten your freshman year?

AO: Be single and stay single till you’re retired.

HC: How has playing football helped you in school/life in general?

AO: Everything good in my life has revolved around football. It’s been such a blessing and it crushes me every time I think about it being over. The disciplines I can take from the game will make me successful in the future. Its taught me how to be resilient, manage my time and taught me a work ethic that I can use in every aspect of my life. I can’t imagine going through my life without the game.

HC: Why did you choose Winona State? 

AO: As mentioned previously my parents were both student-athletes at WSU and I enjoyed my recruiting visits. However, the biggest reason for my commitment was how welcomed I felt to the program by the players and coaches. Athletics aside, the campus was beautiful and everyone I met seemed so enjoyable to be around. The people here are fantastic and I could not be happier with my choice to come and play for Winona.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.