This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Wynter’s POV

The cramped yellow car pulled up in front of a shack-like structure. Half of the walls were down to the studs and the door was barely on its hinges. Dyson helped me unload my luggage from the trunk of the car. Bo grabbed one of the bags and walked in the rundown home. I made a move to grab the rest of my things, but Dyson beat me to it. I held the door open for him and we walked inside. 

Much like the outside, the inside walls were practically nonexistent. I truly wondered how the house was still standing. A young girl with jet black hair and colorful accents was standing in what looked like the kitchen.

“Hi, I’m Kenzi. Human extraordinaire,” she said moving closer to me.

“Wynter,” I said, stiff as a board.

“Um, your room is upstairs,” Bo said standing next to Kenzi.

“Thank you. I think I’m gonna unpack,” I said grabbing my bag from Bo and walking up the rickety stairs.

“Where do you want these?” Dyson said from behind me.

“Anywhere,” I mumbled looking around the sparse room. Thankfully there was a bed in the center of the far wall. I set my suitcase containing my clothes on the bed and a layer of dust burst free into the atmosphere. I coughed and waved my hand around to make it disperse. When the dust left, I opened my suitcase and dug to the bottom under my clothes and pulled out a bunch of herbs in glass jars.

“What are those?”

“Basil, Anise, Fennel, Rosemary, Sage, Nutmeg, and just a pinch of salt… oh and a hint of garlic. When you mix them together, they make wards. Like the one around my old apartment.”

“Why do you need them?”

“They make me feel safe. I’ve always had them when I lived on my own. Ever since Emera showed me how to make them I’ve had them up.” I searched through my other bags and found my mortar and pestle and brought them over to the bed. I carefully added each ingredient and ground them all together until they made a paste. “One final ingredient. Do you have a knife?”

He pulled out a pocketknife and I gently took it. I held my left hand, palm side up, over the mortar and cut my palm with the knife. Dyson ran over as I let my blood drip into the bowl.

“Why did you do that?”

“To give it a person to obey. Give me your hand,” I demanded. He slowly gave me his hand and I cut his palm and let his blood drip into the bowl as well. “Now it obeys you as well.”

“You trust me that much.”

“I’ve seen you my entire life. At first, it was weird. I was dreaming about a wolf that I have never seen. Needless to say, you are the only one of my kind – our kind that I trust in any way.”

A clear bubble burst from the mortar and placed a magic seal around this room. I dug around for a bandage and I wrapped his hand before wrapping my own.

“Well, I’m glad that you trust me.” We both looked up at the exact moment and out faces were inches apart. I backed away quickly and moved back to my suitcase. “Well, I should be going.”

“Thanks for your help,” I said, keeping my attention on my clothes. I heard him leave the room, closing the door behind him.

I gave the room a once over again and decided that I was going to have to purchase some new furniture. I walked downstairs and bypassed Bo and Kenzi.

“Hey, where are you going?” Kenzi asked.

“Out. I need a dresser and an actual bedframe, and the sheets are atrocious,” I said grabbing my purse and walking out the front door.

“Mind if I come with?” Kenzi asked.

“I guess not.”

A couple of hours later we had brought home only what we could carry, and the heavier pieces were being delivered tomorrow. 

“So, I have a question,” Kenzi said as we were riding on the bus home.

“So ask,” I said looking over at her.

“Why do you hate Bo so much?”

I was shocked. “I don’t hate Bo. I just can’t see her.”

“But she’s right in front of you.”

“My gift, my Fae ability is… I get visions of people. Take you for example. I can tell you every single thing that has happened in your past from one touch. But Bo, nothing. I get nothing from her. The fact that she is in my blind spot scares me. So, I don’t hate her, I just don’t completely trust her.”

“But you trust Dyson?”

“With everything I have. When I first got my gift, he was the first person that I got a vision from and he was helping me. Now that I think about it there was a blur in the vision, maybe that was Bo.”

“Do you trust me?”

“Because you are so close to Bo you are shielded from me. Not completely, it just makes it harder for me to use my gift. Give me time and I will.”

“Good chat.”

We carried everything inside the shack they call home. Kenzi helped me carry everything to my room. I spent the rest of the day cleaning out the dust and cobwebs as well as throwing out the old sheets. When I was finished, I looked out the window and saw that night had descended upon us. I walked to the only bathroom and got ready for bed. I had just sat down in the center of the mattress when a knock sounded at my door.

“Yes?” I asked.

The door opened to reveal Bo. “Hey, I brought some extra blankets.” She tried to walk inside and found it blocked. “Again, with the wards. Do you really need them? We aren’t going to hurt you.”

“We live in a house with no walls. I feel more comfortable having them up,” I answered moving to get up and grab the blankets. She gave a small nod before walking away.

Cover, 1

My name is Sydney. I am currently a Junior at Winona State University. I love to write short stories and fantasy stories. I am an avid Disney fan.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!