This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Wynter’s POV

I woke up the next morning and went about my normal routine. I got dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans, a white tank top, and a tan jacket. I threw on a pair of black ankle boots and grabbed my purse before walking downstairs. Much to my surprise, Dyson was there.

“What are you doing here?” I asked pouring myself a cup of coffee.

“The Ash has made a request to see you,” he said moving to stand across from me.

“Oh, and if I choose not to go,” I teased, a small smirk playing on my lips. I tried to cover it by taking a drink of coffee. “Ugh, that is not coffee.” I shook my head to rid the taste in my mouth.

“I wouldn’t recommend it.”

“Only if he is buying me breakfast. It’s the least he could do.”

“I’m sure we can stop… after you talk with him.”

“Then what are we waiting for, let’s go.”

I was halfway out the door when a voice stopped me. “Hey, where are you going?” Bo asked pouring herself a cup of coffee.

“I am being summoned. Don’t worry, Dyson will protect me. Be back later, bye,” I said dragging Dyson to his car. “Not a word,” I ‘threatened’. He gave a small chuckle before starting the car.

One quick drive later and we were parked outside a… castle. I was led inside and a man showed up with a pair of thick handcuffs. I looked at Dyson but he refused to look at me. I held my hands out but Dyson took the cuffs before they could be put on. Dyson put his hand on my lower back and he guided me through a maze of hallways. We finally stopped in a big open room. There were several people already inside.

“Why aren’t the cuffs on?” an African American male, in a solid white suit, said walking closer.

I looked at Dyson’s face and he looked worried. “It was my choice. I told Dyson that I would come willingly so long as I wasn’t treated like a prisoner… and if I got breakfast. I’m not an unreasonable person.” I said covering for him.

“So, what are you?”

“You tell me. I know I’m not a succubus yet my supposed sister is? How does that make any sense?”

“It’s possible that she was lying,” a woman dressed in all black said.

“Who?” I asked.

“The Guardian.”

“She wouldn’t lie,” I defended. “Not to me.”

“And you know who she is?” The man asked.

“I know enough.”

“This is boring me,” the woman said. “Grab her.”

Before I knew it Dyson was attacking two of her thugs. “Enough!” The man yelled. “Lauren needs to examine the girl.”

A woman with blonde hair wearing a white lab coat walked towards me. She offered a comforting smile and we walked out of the room. A few more hallways later and we came upon a lab. She did a physical examination as well as ask about my powers.

“Do you know what I am?” I asked stepping out from behind a dressing curtain.

“I believe that you are a Seer. However, Seer’s generally don’t get visions of the past, nor do they get visions by touch,” Lauren said.

“Maybe I’m special. Thanks for trying.” I walked over to the door to see Dyson standing outside. “I’m a Seer. A google search could have told me that. So what’s next? I imagine they aren’t going to let me go.”

“No, it’s time for the test,” Dyson said with a grim face.

“Multiple choice or short answer?” I asked with a slight giggle. “Lighten up Dyson. Besides, I know a little secret.” I leaned in close and whispered, “I’m gonna live.”

“And how do you know that?”

“I’m psychic remember.”

I was led to a black, four-door, SUV and it drove to an undisclosed location. I was once again led through a series of hallways. I was deposited in a dark, dank room. The woman from before came into the room. She brought two chairs and tried to convince me to join her side. I declined, of course, too much was riding on the outcome of today.

Dyson came to collect me once more and he led me through more tunnels. As if I wasn’t lost already. I was led to an open arena with a few hundred people surrounding me. I was instructed to choose a weapon but I declined.

“It’s suicide,” Dyson whispered.

“I don’t kill. Unless it’s a spider,” I whispered back. “Remember, I already know the outcome. Trust me.”

I stood in the center of the arena and just looked at the two leaders. A pasty, grey hand slowly appeared on my shoulder and I was dragged into my head. I was walking in the forest. 

“Hello,” an old man said from behind me.

“Hello,” I said sitting in the chair next to him. I held my hand out for him to shake and he took it. I was pulled into a series of visions of the man. All his suffering, all his pain and all of it caused by an unjust system. I opened my eyes once the pictures left my head and asked, “are you hungry?”

“I beg your pardon.” He seemed surprised like he wasn’t expecting me to ask any questions.

“I know what they did to you. I know that this is the only way you can get a decent meal so I ask again, are you hungry?”

“What trick is this?”

“No trick. I’m offering some of my pain and in exchange, you forfeit.”

He seemed to think it over for a minute before nodding. He poured me some tea and I took a tiny sip. My body went lax and I felt myself getting lighter and lighter. Just as I was about to float right out of my body something pulled me back. I opened my eyes to see the Fae bowing down.

“You will do great things child,” he said before he was taken away.

I slowly sunk to my knees as another vision clouded my mind. It was of Bo. She was taking the test as well and she passed. A grey hooded figure walked into the room and time seemed to freeze.

“Child,” Emera said.

“Emera. What’s going on? Why did you bring me here?” I asked getting up to hug her.

“There are things that you do not know, things you should have learned a long time ago. You are very special. Remember that. I must go, my time is almost up. Stay with your sister, learn to trust her.”

She began to walk away. “Wait!” I called after her. “Are you my mother?”

“No. Our powers are similar for a reason but not because we are related by blood. All the answers you seek will be revealed in due time. I only wish I could stay to watch you grow into the person I saw you become many years ago.”

I opened my eyes once more and a small drop of water fell onto the pavement. I brought my hand up to my cheek to find it wet. My thoughts were short-lived as I realized it wasn’t over yet.

My name is Sydney. I am currently a Junior at Winona State University. I love to write short stories and fantasy stories. I am an avid Disney fan.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!