A Man Worth Looking Up to: A Letter to My Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear Dad,

From the moment I was born to the second you read this letter, you have always been here for me. It is true: we have had our fair share of arguments, but whenever I need you, you are there to offer a hug and moral support. On the day of my birth, you held me in your arms as I cried. Now, even as an adult, you hold me in a tight hug when I cry about stupid boys or the stress of school. 

Each and every moment that you are part of is a blessing. When you pushed me on the tire swing when I was in kindergarten, I always got way too dizzy and laughed so hard about it with you. I failed my first test in high school, and you reminded me how I am worth more than one grade. When my ex-boyfriend made me cry, you sat on the edge of my bed because you did not want me to cry alone. When I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, you took me on a drive full of heavy metal tunes to head bang to that ended with a visit to Walmart so we could mess around and laugh. 

You and I are so similar. Dad, you have taught me so many important skills and lessons for life. You taught me how to look for nightcrawlers after a fresh rainfall. Then later, you taught me how to fish with them. You have given me so much confidence because you always embrace your goofy, fun and carefree side without hesitation. You are hard-working and you always made sure I had to work for what I got. You also made sure I like hard-working men… and since all my boyfriends must be approved by you, I make sure they are extra hard-working; otherwise, I know you will not get along with them. 

When I told you that I was questioning my sexuality, you told me you still loved me. I know how weird that must have been for you, considering your upbringing, but you supported me anyway. Now, we check out women together, and then I point out the occasional attractive guy and you shake your head.

You are always looking out for my well-being even when I am not. You offer me the best guy advice when I need it… even if I do not necessarily want to hear it. When I am going through the darkest phases of my depression, you are typically the first person I call. Reminding me of the little things in life that I love is easy for you because you know me so well. 

Fernanda Prado
Fernanda Prado / Unsplash

In the end, I hope I have at least taught you a few things because you have taught me so much. The love I have for myself has grown so much because of the love you have shown and told me I deserve. You always push me to do my best but do not make me feel bad when I cannot achieve something. You support the determined, driven, academic-oriented sides of me, but you also support me having fun and being a little wild from time to time. When I have kids someday, I want to be the kind of parent you are for me and my sisters. I could truly make this a never-ending letter, but I know it has to end somewhere. I truly thank you, Dad, for being my hero.

I love you,

Cheyenne Halberg 

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!