Long Distance In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Being in a long distance relationship in college is a lifestyle that both you and your partner have to get accustomed to. College is already a big adjustment in itself, but when the person you wish you were spending your days and nights with is thousands of miles away, things get a little emotional and just plain hard.  But like most hardships there are always silver linings.

Where I come from

I speak from experience when I say it is hard. I remember the day my boyfriend told me he was accepted to New York University, about 1,090 miles away from Winona State University. Many feelings and emotions flooded my head, heart, and stomach. I knew it had been a dream of his for a long time, so of course I praised him and gave him the acknowledgements he well deserved, but on the inside all I wanted to do was scream.

Each couple is in a different situation and has a different story, but at the end of the day, we all miss someone and we may struggle to make a long distance relationship work. No matter the outcome, you will get through it.

Tips

• Plan Skype dates

• Communication is key

• Honesty is the best policy

• Trust your partner

• Homemade gifts are the best gifts

• Handwritten letters never go out of style

Lack of passion is fatal. I remind myself of that as I type up a morning text or make plans when I already have a Skype date lined up because it is true. I don’t think its necessary to talk to your special someone 24/7, but you do need to put the effort in. Another thing that is crucial is trust. It seems silly to even say this, but it’s essential. If you allow yourself to go out on the weekends and dance and have a good time, then you better let your partner do the same. Call him/her the next day tell them what happen last night and who you hung out with. They will appreciate every detail and most likely reciprocate and do the same for you. Write letters to each other or send a craft (find some ideas on our Pinterest account). Be completely cheesy because later on in life you will laugh at it together. Those cheesy things are also the things he/she will talk about, showing you off to their friends.

Do not be a pessimist. Optimism will get you far. College consists of lots of studying and homework so be each other’s support system. Remind each other of how great you are and how much you appreciate them.  Also remember it is okay to not be okay with something. Let them know and you can talk it out before it happens again so it doesn’t rot in your mind. You deserve the relationship that you wished for.

Bonuses of long distance

One very important bonus for most of us ladies out there: no need to shave the legs! It can become such a time saver. Another bonus is that you and your boyfriend/girlfriend will have so much to talk about, teach and show each other once you are back in each other’s arms. You can spend more time on yourself, finding out what you want out of life. Long distance also gives you time to focus on friendships. I know when my boyfriend is around I want to spend my free time with him, but at college I can take my free time to meet new people and lifelong friends.

Overall every story is different, but we can learn and connect by sharing our stories and ideas. Stay on the same page with your partner and keep saying I love you because really if there is love what can get in your way, thousands of miles? No!

This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.  
Katie is an avid wine connoisseur with an appetite for travel, journaling, a loaded bloody mary and of course, persuading the masses with the help of her PR education. Her current passions reside in creating trendy outfits at T.J.Maxx, rocking her Birkenstocks, finding new Indie artists and daydreaming about backpacking after graduation. She is a firm believer in equality and finding peace within society. She is always down for a fun time, while being fabulous and fierce.