Lindsay Oien: Emerging Designer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Lindsay Oien is an advertising major from White Bear Lake, MN.  She is super creative and is always working on a project whether it be through Adobe, painting or photography.

Her Campus (HC): How did you first get involved in AdFed?

Linsey Oien (LO): I’m not even quite sure how I got into advertising. I came to Winona wanting to be a physical therapist and on the second day of Anatomy I dropped my major. I always liked art and I wanted to do something creative. I guess I just decided that it might be fun to design ads and that’s when I found the AdFed club. I emailed Jake (the previous president) and asked if they actually made ads. He said yes and I have been a part of it ever since.  

HC: Why should students be interested in joining AdFed?

LO: It’s a really great opportunity to learn about advertising in general if you’re curious. It opens your eyes to behind the scenes of the world of advertising. I 100% recommend it to anyone with an advertising major, but it is also very beneficial to many mass communication majors. We have many students in the club with other majors.  It’s also a great portfolio builder, networking tool and a great experience!  

HC: What do you do as Vice President?

LO: A lot of it is a team effort though and we bounce a lot of ideas off of each other and work together to make AdFed as great as it can be. I do organize and plan events that we take as a club like the agency tours that we go on.

HC: How has being in AdFed benefited you?

LO: I can’t emphasis enough how great of an experience AdFed is. I have learned so much about advertising, advertising jobs and agencies, building my own brand and how to get a job. I don’t know where I would be without AdFed.  

HC: What is your favorite part of AdFed?

LO: Last year it was going on agency tours. This year I’d say growing and promoting AdFed to bring it to its full potential. I love to watch it grow and see everyone grow with it. I also of course still am looking forward to all the great events we have planned too.  

HC: What sets AdFed apart from other clubs on campus?

LO: It is a smaller close group of people that all love the same things. It’s a very specific club. Also we are preparing you to get a job after college.

HC: How do you think it will help you with your future career?

LO: AdFed not only just looks great on a resume, but it also can help get you connections with future employers, teach you how to get a job, tells you what employers are looking for and shows you parts of the advertising world that I don’t know how you would see without being a part of something like AdFed.  

HC: What is advice that you would give to freshmen?

LO: For freshman, I would tell them to just go. It sounds harsh, but really you just need to go and get yourself out there. Go to club meetings, and go to different events. Not even just AdFed, but just in general. You will be amazed at how far life will take you if you actually go out and do stuff. Go get a job, go figure out what you are interested in. If I hadn’t gone and found AdFed on my own I would have missed out on some many opportunities and who knows, maybe I would still be unsure of my major. We all are still so young and have so much potential. Now is the time to explore that and make the most out of our years at college.

If you want to know more about Lindsay and what she does check out her website at lindsayoien.wix.com/oien.