This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Walt Disney created masterpieces that still resonate with viewers today, decades later. Even after Disney’s time, Disney and Pixar movies have continued the legacy. Besides the obvious cute factor, Disney movies also offer many life lessons and bits of advice.You’re never too old to listen to them.

One of the lessons that I especially take to heart is from Peter Pan: Never grow up. Just because you are physically growing older doesn’t mean that you also have to emotionally and mentally grow older.

This is probably one of the more well-known pieces of advice since it comes from a recent movie, but that doesn’t mean it’s not just as valid. If Dory, who can’t remember what happened ten seconds ago, can be this positive about life, anyone should be able to follow her advice and just keep swimming.

Life shouldn’t be boring; you should make the most of it! If you look hard enough, you will discover that adventure is out there.

The little girls who grew up watching the classics may have been under the impression that a happy ending can only happen with a prince; I know I was. Some of the newer Disney movies, however, are proving that you can succeed in life without a guy.

​Sometimes bad people are just plain bad people, but oftentimes they are simply misunderstood.

Blood doesn’t always determine family.

Hakuna Matata: everyone probably knows this means “no worries.” Sometimes you just need to take a step back and temporarily push your problems aside. Focus on the positives in life.

Don’t assume a stereotype based on outward appearance. If you missed all of these references and themes in Zootopia, you should probably re-watch it (it’s on Netflix!).

Something you hate about yourself could be what someone else loves. Differences make us unique.

This last bit of advice comes from the man himself. As Walt Disney once said, “If you can dream it, you can do it.” And he sure did it.

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.