Letters to Santa: 6 Gifts to Add to Your Christmas List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Every year it seems like Christmas comes earlier and earlier. Because the postal system is swamped, it’s probably a good idea to send your Christmas list to the North Pole soon to ensure Santa and his elves have enough time to make and deliver everything on your list.

The second week of November is Dear Santa Letter Week––an entire week dedicated to thoughtfully crafting your wishlist and sending it off to Saint Nick.

It may seem a bit early to be thinking of gifts, but I’ve already begun crafting my own list with some ideas for you, too. And Mom, if you’re reading this, there are plenty of ideas for you and Santa both.

1. Workout Clothes

If you’re like me, you live in sweatpants, leggings, and sweatshirts. As much as I love a statement outfit, as a stressed-out college student, I rarely find myself embodying the closet of my dreams. Instead, this year I’m asking for much more realistic wardrobe necessities. 

Recently, I’ve been getting more into working out. I have a few pairs of leggings but could use a few more to add to my collection. I’m hoping to find a pair of Gymshark leggings under the tree this Christmas. I also love my Nike One leggings and wouldn’t mind adding another pair to my collection. Champion and Nike sweatpants are also some great basics.

What I don’t have many of is cute workout tops. This 90 Degree By Reflex shirt is a cute dupe for the Lululemon Align tank. I’m also eyeing this North Face cropped tee for another option. For a warmer style, I’m interested in this basic North Face crewneck.

Pair your workout clothes with a new water bottle; Hydroflasks are a great option for a heavy-duty, cute, and trendy water bottle. They keep things cool for extended periods of time, meaning you’ll be able to hydrate no matter the circumstances. I’ve been eyeing this 32 oz. Hydroflask for a while.

2. Vinyl Record Player and Records

I received a record player for Christmas a few years ago and I’ve loved it ever since. Not only does it add a decorative touch to your space, but it also creates a unique spot to collect music from your favorite artists. I have this portable Victrola suitcase record player, which comes in a variety of colors. It pairs perfectly with this record storage suitcase in matching colors.

In terms of records, you can find records for just about any artist under the sun. Whether new or old, vinyl is a trend that has come back for all generations to enjoy. Check out some thrift stores for some unique vintage finds, or search Amazon for your favorite modern tunes. I’m interested in some vinyl records from Lewis Capaldi, Khalid, Dominic Fike, and Post Malone.

3. Self-Care Products

I’ve found that self-care is a great way to tend to yourself after a long, stressful day. Self-care is different for everyone, but a common way to take some time for yourself is to relax and take care of your skin or hair. Personally, I’ve been getting into haircare lately, so I have a few of those items on my list. 

If you’ve been on TikTok recently, you’ve probably seen plenty of videos about curly hair. Although I’ve known my hair type all along, TikTok has inspired my interest in the Denman brush

Olaplex, a hair product line, is another popular item floating around TikTok. I’m interested to see whether they benefit my hair, which is why I’m adding it to my Christmas list. To find out which products are best for your hair, check out their hair diagnostic to assess what will work best for you. I found that my hair would benefit from Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother.

I’m a bit late to the trend on this one, but silk pillowcases are something I’m long past overdue to get. This set is highly rated on Amazon and comes in colors to match anyone’s decor.

4. Apartment Necessities and Decor

As a broke college student, I’m quickly finding that some of the most important things to ask for for Christmas are the things you need most. For me, that’s a few apartment necessities and decor pieces that I’m not quite prepared to splurge on.

The item on the top of this list is a knife block. Although we have a set of knives at my apartment, they’re super cheap and frustrating to use (I’ve already broken one) which is why I’m hoping to have it out of my sight as soon as possible. Instead, I’ve done my research and found that this Farberware set is not only economical but also super high quality.

Another item that may be useful is an apple cutter. It makes things simple and easy but is a luxury I’m not willing to buy for myself.

If you’re as obsessed with decor as I am, it may be a good idea to scout out some cute pieces to add to your Christmas list this year. I’ve wanted this task lamp since this summer, but have yet to bite the bullet and bring it home. A second pair of sheets is also a functional gift to include on your list.

5. Bath and Body Works Products

Something about the holiday season just reminds me of Bath and Body Works. Some of their Christmas scents are my absolute favorites, and now is the perfect time to stock up for the rest of the year. With such a wide variety of products and scents, its important to specify which scents suit your palette best.

Personally, I can never say no to a candle, but I also would love to add some hand soap, lotion, wallflower plug-ins, and car scents to my collection. I use all of these in my day-to-day life, so they make a perfect gift for me.

In terms of scents, I enjoy anything warm and cozy. Some of my favorites include Sweater Weather, Winter Candy Apple, and Vanilla Bean Noel. Bath and Body Works also has plenty of options, so it can be fun to experiment and try new scents. I also have my eye (or nose) on Sugared Snickerdoodle, Mahogany Teakwood, and Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow.

Even if Bath and Body Works isn’t your thing, you can find divine candles at virtually any department store, so there’s plenty of options for gift-givers on any budget.

If you’re shopping for a candle fanatic, pair a candle with a wick trimmer. This one from Amazon is highly rated, and a niche gift that any recipient would appreciate.

6. Books

Books can be a tough gift to buy, but if you know the genres your recipient likes, this can be a great, thoughtful gift. It can also be very special to pick out a book you can read together or a book you think they’d like.

Some of the books I’d love to add to my collection are Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin, A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, and Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. These are just a few of my top picks, but any other book lover would be satisfied with a book you take the time to pick out for them.

I think that books aren’t given as gifts often enough, and anyone who puts enough thought into the gift to find a book that you’ll love and appreciate is a really special person.

I hope this has given you some ideas for what to ask for as you write your letter to Santa. Be sure to send your letter out soon––the postal system is backed up and Santa is quite busy preparing for the production shortages, so don’t put another kink in the system!

Brianna Strohbehn is a junior at Winona State University and a small-town girl from central Iowa. Brianna is studying English, double majoring in writing and applied and professional writing with hopes of someday becoming an editor at a publishing firm. When she isn't writing, Brianna enjoys thrifting, reading, exploring her new home in Winona, and spending time with family and friends.