A Letter to the Best Friend I Used to Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I remember the day we met like it was yesterday. We were in middle school and while we weren’t instantly friends, once we were, we were completely inseparable. Sometimes you see those middle school friendships fizzle out, but we knew that we were in it for the long haul. It didn’t matter what was going on at the time; we always made time to call or text each other or go to each other’s house whenever we were needed.

After middle school ended, we both went to different schools and that was one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to adjust to. I had to meet new people and branch out in a way that I wasn’t used to because I had always had you by my side. You assured me that I would be okay and that we would hang out every weekend and during the week when we could.

The years progressed and we were finally able to drive. Nothing could keep us apart because we were finally licensed. No matter how busy we were, we kept in contact and still hung out all of the time. Because I grew up with three brothers, you were like the sister I never had. You always made me feel like it was okay to hate my brothers when they were being obnoxious.

Senior year came and we were finally going to the same school. We were so thrilled that we would get to see each other every day again. You helped me transition into a new school for senior year especially because I didn’t know anyone besides our friend group. It was one of the best years of my life. You knew I was struggling with picking a college and told me that while you would miss me it was okay to pick a different school in a different state and to experience something new.

After we graduated, I left and went to Montana and you went to Winona. We had gone our separate ways but our friendship was still just as strong as ever. Our reunions were always so amazing and made me feel like I had nothing to worry about.

Montana didn’t work out for me the way I had hoped it would and everyone welcomed me with open arms when I transferred to Winona. The summer before I transferred I could tell that something was different and you weren’t acting like the same best friend that I knew and loved. You started to be controlling and tried to tell me what I could and couldn’t do with my life.

I had always been the person to avoid confrontation and deciding that I was going to leave our friendship was the absolute hardest thing that I had ever endured. I knew for me it was the right thing to do because I couldn’t be part of a toxic friendship anymore but that didn’t make it any less hard.

We didn’t talk for about two years and every time I saw you I would feel this pang of awkwardness as I avoided eye contact with you. Last summer we talked for the first time and when we hung out again I wanted to believe that we could go back to that middle and high school friendship. I knew right away that wouldn’t be the case. Although we talked like old times, we had gone through so much in our lives that we hadn’t been there for and there was no making up for that lost time. It was nice to know that we were friends again, but we would never be best friends again. I would always know you as the best friend I used to have.

Sincerely,

Your ex best friend

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.