Kylee Gannon: Passionate for Pura Vida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Her Campus (HC): Why don’t you start off by telling us a little about yourself?

Kylee Gannon (KG): I was actually born in Utah and then moved to Minnesota in 5th grade! I’m from Apple Valley, MN (a suburb of the Twin Cities). I am a junior and a movement science major with a psych minor. After graduating in Spring 2018, I plan to attend grad school to become an Occupational Therapist. I love spontaneous dance parties, ice cream, and Christmas.

(HC): What are you involved in here at WSU?

(KG): Here at WSU, I am an active sister of Sigma Sigma Sigma and currently hold the Events Chair position. I am also the Vice President of the Special Olympics Club. Along with those, I am in the movement science club and also a part of the club FRAME.

(HC): We hear that you are also involved with the company Pura Vida. Can you explain what this company is and what they do?

(KG): Pura Vida stands for “Pure Life,” a reminder to never take the simple things in life for granted. Each bracelet is handcrafted by bracelet peddlers in Costa Rica. Although you may order the same bracelet as someone else, each bracelet is individual and unique in its own way. Not only do these bracelets look amazing, they are also providing full-time jobs to artisans in Costa Rica which is super cool! Pura Vida has also collaborated with over 190 charities and donates close to one million dollars a year.

(HC): What is your role within the Pura Vida company?

(KG): My role within the company is to market the bracelets (as well as necklaces, rings, accessories, and clothing). The main focus is to promote the bracelets through my social media accounts! It’s super fun to get to show everyone these bracelets that I am super passionate about. Anyone is welcome to use my code (kyleegannon20) to get 20% off their purchase!

(HC): Why is this cause important to you?

(KG): Ever since I can remember, I was always the girl that had dreams of changing the world and making everyone happy but never knew what I could do to make that happen. Although I personally am not changing the world, it is so exciting for me to get to work for a company that is changing the world. Not only are they providing full-time jobs to artisans in Costa Rica, but they are also donating and raising awareness for so many different charities. It’s a really special thing to be a part of.

(HC): How can you become a part of the Pura Vida team?

(KG): Becoming a part of the team is super easy! You just go to puravidabracelets.com and click on the button that says “Reps.” From there, there’s an application (super simple!). You can expect an email back within a couple weeks letting you know if they would like you to be a rep.

(HC): Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

(KG): As silly as it may sound, I really really want to have a lazy river in my backyard someday. Ten years from now, I hope that I can accomplish this as well as own my own Occupational Therapy Clinic!

(HC): Who do you look up to the most?

(KG): As cliché as it may sound, I look up to my mom the most. She is and always has been the perfect role model. She handles every situation with such strength and grace and always knows how to shed light on a situation. My mom is my absolute best friend and I hope to be half the woman she is someday.

(HC): What are some of your favorite things to do here in good ol’ Winona?

(KG): I really like walks/runs around the lakes! Sometimes it’s a nice getaway from all of the stress of school. You can never go wrong with Nate and Ally’s either!

(HC): Favorite bracelet made by Pura Vida?

(KG): My favorite Pura Vida bracelet is the Anxiety Disorder Awareness bracelet! It’s a super pretty blue color. I think it’s my favorite because I received it from one of my best friends and it has a lot of meaning behind it!

(HC): How much does a Pura Vida bracelet cost?

(KG): The basic Pura Vida bracelets only cost $5, which is super cheap for how cute they are and if it’s is a charity bracelet, some of your money gets donated! The more intricate the bracelets get, the more expensive they are. Pura Vida also have monthly subscription packs that are $14.95 a month and come with 3 bracelets!

(HC): If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?

(KG): Usually I wouldn’t know an answer for this question, but I have a friend traveling the world this semester and luckily, I have gotten to live vicariously through her stories and pictures.  Now I finally have an answer for this question. If I could travel anywhere, I would go to Switzerland! It has definitely been added to my bucket list!

(HC): Three buzzwords to describe yourself?

(KG): Affectionate, determined, and passionate.

(HC): Favorite quote?

(KG): “A good place to be happy is here. A good time to be happy is now.”

(HC): What is your proudest accomplishment so far in your life?

(KG): My proudest accomplishment is living a healthy and happy life. Everyone has their own battles they are fighting and I think just the fact that I wake up every morning and live each day like it’s my last is something to be proud of.

Hello Pals! My name is Clare O'Neill and I am from south eastern Wisconsin. I am a Marketing major with a minor in Business Management. Back in the states I study at Winona State University, but currently I am studying abroad in France! If I had to describe myself in a few buzzwords they would be: compassionate friend, natural leader, and constant learner. I adore my friends and family and of course, The Chicago Blackhawks.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.