Josey Wilk: Summer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Josey Wilk

Year: Senior

Major: Recreation and Tourism

HC (Her Campus): Where did you go?

Josey: I studied in Spain over summer ’16, traveling to Madrid, Barcelona, and San Sebastian! The trip lasted about one month.

HC: What or who inspired you to study abroad?

J: My whole life I had never traveled outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota. When I came to WSU for my freshman orientation, I saw a flier in my packet of information for a travel study to Puerto Rico. I instantly looked at my mom and said, “I am doing this!” So I did. And I became really interested in traveling and exploring new places – which is what led me to my major, Tourism and Recreation. Since then, I had my eye open for more travel study opportunities that interested me and would work for me. This is when I heard about the travel study to Spain, and signed up the next day!

HC: How was your traveling experience? Jet leg?

J: Very. Long. About 10 – 12 hours of flight each way (I got confused with all the time changes). I thought I would be exhausted and jet lagged upon arrival, but honestly I was just so excited to get there I wasn’t tired at all. When I got back to the states, however, is a different story. It’s a good thing I took an extra week off from work!

HC: What was your living arrangement?

J: I stayed at hostels in each city I visited, so slept in a larger room with bunk beds occupied by other girls on our trip (no strangers!). It was awesome because the hostels had great locations (right in the city or just outside of it), were clean, and I felt safe there. Staying in hostels also provided me with the opportunity to meet other individuals and groups from all over the world, so it was really cool to get to know them and hear their stories.

HC: What was the best part of the trip?

J: That’s a very hard question…everything! The architecture and sight seeing was beautiful and captivating, I tried some of the best food (and some of the worst!) I have ever had, all of the art and history added to the experience as well. I think my favorite part was roaming the maze of cobblestone streets. As I walked a million miles every day (only exaggerating a little), I thought it couldn’t get any better, but there was always something new and amazing around every corner. One of my favorite memories was a neighborhood block party celebration that took place one weekend while in Barcelona. Mucho cervesas, musica, y bailando!  I felt like it was a very genuine cultural experience. Oh! I can’t forget about all the gelato and cheap wine, of course!

HC: Worst part?

J: Barcelona is well known for it’s tricky pick- pocketers so worrying about that wasn’t fun. Also, I am terrible at packing. My oversized duffel bag and backpack was a lot to travel around Spain with. I had to haul all of my belongings through the little busy streets, up and down many flights of stairs, and on subways and trains. You knew you were about to have a rough day when your professor says, “tomorrow, we will put everyone’s endurance to the test!” Yikes!

HC: What was the “schooling” aspect like? Did class make it less enjoyable?

J: Instead of “class,” we had what workshops each morning that lasted about four hours each (besides on weekends). These workshops were very interactive and hands on, and at the end of each day we had to answer some questions given to us by our professors (about a page each day).  All of my instructors spoke English, so that wasn’t a problem (I can’t speak Spanish)! Because it was a Mass Communications travel study, we were also required to visit different advertising agencies in each city – some of the most famous in the world! I had a very busy schedule while I was there and I found myself wishing I had more free time to explore, but I managed to make the best of it!

HC: If you could change one thing about your experience, what would it be?

J: If I could change one thing, I would be to stay longer on my own time. As I mentioned, I was very busy with school and I would have really loved a little more time to take explore the cities I stayed in and even travel outside of them!

HC: Advice to others considering studying abroad?

J: JUST GO! It can be scary to travel out of the country, but a travel study or travel abroad program is a great way to do it for the first time! If you step out of your comfort zone you will learn a lot, make memories that last a lifetime, and will be dying to go back! Also, if expenses is something that’s holding you back, there are so many grants and scholarships you can get to help pay for the trip. Plus, there is no way you will ever get to travel the way you do through travel study/study abroad for the price ever again in your life! Take advantage of these programs on campus NOW and go with an open heart and mind!

Hi, I'm Macy! I'm a junior at Winona State University, persuinng a career in Recreation and Tourism. I spend most of my time with friends and enjoy being outdoors, cooking and watching Greys Anatomy.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.