Life > Experiences

Interviewing My Small-Town & City College Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Being a sophomore in college myself, I have friends coming from many different backgrounds that have transitioned to a diverse variety of atmospheres for the sake of higher education. I decided to look into a couple of the contrasting places that one could decide to pursue their degrees, including the school I am currently attending. I have asked a similar series questions of each of my interviewees to answer according to their personal experiences within their campus of choice.

To start it off, I asked my new friend Amanda if she would respond to these questions and tell us how she feels about the school we go to. Amanda Petro is a freshman at Winona State University in Winona, Minnesota.

Her Campus (HC): Give us some background info about yourself: where you’re from, what year you are, what you’re majoring in, what you’re currently stressed about, etc.

Amanda Petro (AP): My name is Amanda Petro and I’m from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I’m a freshman at Winona State University, and I have not declared a major yet, but I’m interested in Sociology, Psychology, and Communication Studies. I’m currently stressed about figuring out where I’m going to live next year (and who I’m going to live with) and whether I’ll have a driver’s license and/or a car by the next school year.

(HC): What made you choose to attend Winona State University?

(AP): Honestly, I’m not completely sure why I chose Winona over the other schools I was accepted to. For the most part, WSU, St. Cloud State University, and the University of Minnesota – Duluth are fairly similar to each other when you look at them in terms of price, distance, and size. I remember the day I made the decision of which college I wanted to go to. There was nothing huge that separated Winona above the other schools, so I kind of just picked one. I knew I didn’t want to go anywhere too far away from home for college, and Winona seemed to be the perfect distance. Winona also felt like a nice medium-sized school at the time of my tour, and it offered a price that my parents agreed with.

(HC): What was your biggest fear about the move?

(AP): I remember being very stressed the night before move-in day. I’ve lived in the same house for my entire life up until this year, so it was a strange concept to have to move the majority of my belongings to a new location. I was a little worried about forgetting things, and I was just so overwhelmed with having so much stuff.

(HC): What was the transition like moving from Minneapolis to Winona, and what helped you through it?

(AP): I think the most difficult part of the move was knowing I didn’t know anybody in Winona. I never really had a tight group of friends in high school, but rather a bunch of friends from different groups. This could be a bit of an advantage in college though since that seems to be how my friendships are working now, too. 

(HC): Is there anything you wish you had access to in the small town that you don’t currently have access to?

(AP): I really miss the Mall of America. That is my regular shopping place since it’s so convenient to get to from where I live. I also miss being able to drive just five to 10 minutes away to get to just about any restaurant I could think of. The options in Winona are much more limited.

(HC): How has Winona shaped you as a person? Has it had an impact on your personal life? How have you changed/grown?

(AP): Overall, I am happy with how Winona has shaped me as a person so far. I feel like I’ve finally been allowed a fresh start to come out of my shell and become more independent. I’ve always been a bit more on the shy side, but there’s something about a new environment where I don’t know anyone at all that turns me into a people-person. I also think my self-confidence has improved since beginning college, and my work ethic has changed for the better as well. 

(HC): What are some perks of small town living that you might want to share with others considering going to college in a smaller area?

(AP): I think I’ve learned how to create “fun” with minimal resources. It’s easy to feel like you’re trapped in a few blocks’ radius of campus, especially without a car, but I’d say I’ve been managing fairly well with finding little cafes or ice cream shops to visit. Plus, during my time in my dorm, I spend time with friends and we’re able to keep each other entertained for the most part. 

(HC): Are there any drawbacks worth considering?

(AP): If you come from a big city and head off to a small-town college, I think it’s important to realize that it’s going to feel different in just about every aspect imaginable. I just learned about a year ago that the U.S. is actually made up of a lot more white people than I realized. It was surprising to me because my high school and hometown are very diverse, so I figured the whole country was, too! 

(HC): What advice might you give to prospective students now that you have officially started your first year and semester at Winona State?

(AP): I would definitely recommend coming to Winona with your own car. There are only so many places you can go to that are within walking distance from campus. I haven’t even been to Target yet without finding a friend to bring me there. I think having a car would greatly improve the quality of my college experience. 

Living in a very different area than Amanda and I is Auby Barth, one of my closest friends from home in Roseville, Minnesota, who attends Loyola University Chicago. I asked if Auby would be willing to share her thoughts on her school while visiting her in Chicago, and she obliged. 

(HC): Give us some background info about yourself: where you’re from, what year you are, what you’re majoring in, what you’re currently stressed about, etc.

Auby Barth (AB): Hi everyone! My name is Auby Barth, and I’m currently a sophomore at Loyola University Chicago, majoring in environmental policy. I’m originally from Roseville, Minnesota and graduated from Roseville Area High School in 2018. I’m most passionate about environmental justice, reproductive rights, plant-based eating and my family. Currently, I’m stressed about a sickness that I just can’t seem to shake; colds aren’t supposed to last for more than a month!

(HC): What made you choose to attend Loyola?

(AB): When asking my older friends what made them choose the schools that they now attend, they all agreed that there was a certain “feeling” that hit you when you visited the place that you were meant to be. I took this advice with a grain of salt, doubting that I would ever get that same feeling.

However, when I stepped on Loyola’s campus, I was hit with a wave of comfort and confidence. It immediately felt like the stars aligned to place me here and that this was truly the place that I could make the biggest difference. I loved that they emphasized social justice and environmental sustainability within their mission, and that their campus focused on highlighting the natural beauty of the lake and the surrounding ecosystem. (Their dining halls also had vegan options, so it was basically a match made in heaven.) I also loved that it was a cozy, welcoming campus within a seemingly limitless city. I felt safe while also recognizing that there were endless possibilities right outside my back door. 

(AB): As pathetic as this is, I was worried about my relationship with my high school boyfriend! I think it was just attachment to the life that I had built in Roseville and the comfort that surrounded it, and this fear manifested itself in this relationship. Surprise, we broke up only a month after I started school at Loyola! I realized that I needed to leave this relationship behind to fully grow and embrace all the things that were awaiting me in Chicago. I feel like the transition to college always involves a loss like this, but you have to grieve and grow from it. 

(HC): What was the transition like moving from Roseville to Chicago, and what helped you through it?

(AB): To say the least, it was hard! Leaving high school, my family and the friends that I had become so close to was incredibly difficult, especially when I was throwing myself into a school and a city where I didn’t know anyone or anything. I struggled a lot my first year, but I think that being honest with myself was the biggest factor in recovering. I started therapy, called my mom on an almost daily basis (sorry, Mom) and started to get my extrovert self more involved around campus. I think we don’t talk enough about how hard the transition is to college, so it’s easy to feel isolated in your struggles. However, everyone experiences this discomfort and there’s so much beauty and growth in it! 

(HC): Is there anything you wish you had access to in the big city that you don’t currently have access to?

(AB): Occasionally, I just need a long, peaceful hike to rejuvenate myself. While there are areas within Illinois where I could find this, I don’t have a car and can’t get myself there! Fortunately, Loyola is located right next to Lake Michigan and there is a beautiful beach not far from my apartment that I go to when I need this kind of nature connection. 

(HC): How has Chicago shaped you as a person? Has it had an impact on your personal life? How have you changed/grown?

(AB): I can’t even explain how much moving to Chicago has shaped me as a person! I became more confident in who I was, less afraid to be different and more excited about my future. I know who I am and what I want in life than I ever have and have met some of the most inspiring people during my time at Loyola. I barely even recognize the girl that I was a year ago. 

(HC): What are some perks of big city living that you might want to share with others considering going to college in an urban area?

(AB): Oh gosh, where do I even start! I love the unlimited access to the most amazing thrift stores, restaurants, shows, concerts and events. I love that I can be the local in a sea of tourists, acting confident about how well I know my city. I love that I am surrounded by huge opportunities for internships, future jobs and inspiration. There is always something to go to, someone to talk to or something to think about. You’re never bored, and I thrive in that busyness. 

(AB): The only negative thing about life in Chicago that I can think of is that taking the L home after a long night of drinking, dancing and screaming is the most exhausting thing. I always want to hop into my car and drive right to my bed but realize with disappointment that I have to stumble my way to the train station and take the 30-minute ride home. Take extra care not to get sick on the way!

(HC): What advice might you give to prospective students now that you are in your second year of college at Loyola?

(AB): You can’t grow unless you’re uncomfortable! My mom said this to me during a particularly trying time last year, and I think about it almost every day. Take the leap to do something that scares you, because really beautiful things could come out of it. I know Chicago seems daunting coming from a small town in Minnesota, but life here is so much more exciting and surprising than you could imagine.  

As you can probably tell, there are completely dissimilar college campuses out there, but the differences are enough to satisfy and accommodate the needs and wants of any prospective student. 

Finally, I would like to give a big thank-you to my interviewees Auby and Amanda!

Cover, 2, 3

Harmony is a sophomore at Winona State currently planning to major in Biology: Environmental Science, and minor in Film Studies. In her free time, she loves to spend time outside, watch movies and listen to her favorite podcast, "Ologies with Alie Ward". Harmony’s writing consists of what topics are on her brain in the current moment.