International Music Therapy Day: 10 Songs For All My Moods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

In the article below, I have listed out my top 10 songs to celebrate International Music Therapy Day on March 1st. I have also added a brief description of my feelings about the songs. I have listed a Spotify playlist of all these songs.

10:American Kids” by Kenny Chesney

This song is a little bit of a throwback song. It came out in 2014, but I still like it. The lyrics depict a  very white-picket-fence, all-American, apple pie lifestyle. It is very much a boy’s perspective, but it is still relatable for anyone. I was not born then, but I still like the message behind the song.

9:Say” by RaeLynn feat. Dan + Shay

This is one of my favorite duets. Although I guess it would be a trio because Dan and Shay are two people. Anyway, I like how the two groups sound. They compliment each other very well. When you look at the lyrics of the song, it seems like a love letter or a response to a love letter. 

8:Once Upon a Dream” by Lana Del Rey

When I am in a sad or depressing mood, this is what I listen to. I really like the slow build and the deep tone of her voice. She keeps the song very slow, and she draws out the notes at just the right time.

7:WildHorse” by RaeLynn

When I want a girl empowerment song, this is what I listen to. The song is about being yourself and not conforming to what someone else wants you to be. It’s about feeling comfortable enough in your own skin to say no to peer pressure and yes to yourself.

6:Into the Unknown” by Panic! At The Disco 

When I am feeling in a Disney mood but don’t want what was in the movie, I play this song. It is an upbeat, fast-paced version of the classic song sung by Aurora and Idina Menzel. I almost like this version of the song better. When you listen to the music and watch the video, the song seems more about facing your greatest fear instead of finding some secret that your family kept from you. I feel like this version is more relatable than the one sung by Aurora and Idina Menzel.

5:Machine Heart” by Kelsea Ballerini

Another song I really like is “Machine Heart” because it is the perfect post-breakup song. The song starts with how Ballerini views her heart after a breakup. It almost sounds like she is scolding herself for listening to her heart, and, by the end of the song, it feels like she accepts that her heart is vulnerable and that it’s okay.

4:History” by Olivia Holt

When I am in a sappy romantic mood, I listen to Olivia Holt. I like a few of her songs but this one is by far my favorite. If you watch the Youtube video at the end, Leo Howard walks up to Holt’s door, and it makes it seem like the song is about him. As a Kickin’ It fan, I appreciate the fact that they brought Howard in.

3:For a Boy” by RaeLynn

This song is kind of a make-up song and a breakup song all rolled into one. It starts with a girl forgiving a guy and by the end of the song, she is beating herself up for trusting him again.

2:House Party” by Sam Hunt

If I ever want to dance, then this is the song that I will play. The upbeat toon and fast-paced tempo make it the ideal song if you just want to dance in your room like nobody’s watching.

1: “Be Prepared” by Jeremy Irons

This is my favorite Disney Villain song. Now, Scar isn’t my favorite villain, but he has the best villain song of all time. No matter what mood I am in, if I play this song, it instantly becomes better. 

And those are the top 10 songs and the moods I often associate with them. I hope you like my song choices and that they will brighten your mood. 

My name is Sydney. I am currently a Junior at Winona State University. I love to write short stories and fantasy stories. I am an avid Disney fan.
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.