The Importance of Knowing Your Worth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I love when people have a strong sense of self worth – people who are willing to say “no” to things they aren’t comfortable with and who don’t allow others to cloud their judgment. I don’t mean to encourage narcissism or self-absorption, but I believe self-love is of utmost importance. Realize your values, intentions, and capabilities. When you are able to truly recognize all that you are and all that you have to offer, your confidence will skyrocket. You will care less about impressing others or what they think. If you can fully trust, love, and believe in yourself, the little things won’t get to you.

Someone who doesn’t see all that you are, all you have to offer, and all the good you bring isn’t worth keeping around. Focus on those who love you, care about you, and want you to succeed; forget about those who don’t. They simply don’t deserve all that you are.

Don’t be afraid to stand up for who you are and let go of something that’s dragging you down. If you are constantly living to please someone else and make sure others are happy, you won’t have anything left for yourself. Focus on you. Focus on doing what makes you happy and how you can best spend your time.

You are who you are, and that’s a wonderful thing. It’s important not to base your worth on what others think of you; no one knows you and your heart better than you.I know, it’s much easier said than done to truly love all that you are.

Here are a few ways to bring you a little closer:

1. Take care of yourself: Eat right, exercise, relax, do your homework, and definitely, definitely take your makeup off before bed.            
  2. Forgive yourself: You make mistakes; you do things you regret. Allow yourself to learn from them and don’t beat yourself up about it. You can’t expect to be perfect your entire life; you need to grow. Learn to let things go.              
  3. Rid of comparison: Someone else’s beauty or success does not take away from your own. You don’t have to be wonderful like them — you can be wonderful like you.
  4. Say No:  If you feel something would be harmful to you or is far outside of your comfort zone, it’s okay to stand up for what you believe is best.
  5. Be mindful: Recognize your thoughts, feelings, actions, and that of those around you. Enough said.              
  6. Ditch the screen: Get away from your phone and social media for a bit each day. You will be so much more content with your life and who you present to the world when you aren’t constantly looking at Alex’s pictures on a tropical vacation or Sam’s new promotion. Be happy for them, but know good things are happening for you too.

Knowing your worth is about knowing what you deserve and what you have to offer. Standing up for it will make you the happiest you’ve ever been; you won’t even be able to contain it.

Sources:

1, 2

Image Hyperlinks:

123

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.