I’m Right About This: A Definitive Halloween Candy Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Since I was little, I have been known to be sweets-obsessed. It all started when my uncle bought me a Colemen cooler full of Tootsie Rolls for my third birthday. I’m twenty now, and I think it’s safe to say that I know my way around the candy aisle (just ask my bank account, or my non-existent six-pack). My Halloween candy haul is always full of the good stuff––and no, I don’t keep the pre-packaged baby carrots or apple slices. Here is my 100% factual ranking of 10 Halloween candies from worst to best. Remember: if you disagree, I don’t really care. 

10. Almond Joy

I know I might get canceled for even putting this on the list, but we like to be inclusive here at Her Campus. I personally like coconut, almonds, and milk chocolate, so I appreciate what they got going on here. If you’re not a fan, send them all my way, please!

9. Dots

These suckers are like glorified fruit snacks that can pull your molars right out of your mouth. I think they might still be stuck in my teeth from last Halloween (I’m joking, I do brush my teeth AND floss). The flavors are great, but I think they go better with buttery popcorn and Sprite at the movie theater. 

8. Caramel Apple Suckers

I’m not even sure if you are gonna know what I’m talking about here, but I used to get these in my plastic pumpkin bucket every year as a kid, and I loved them. I have an oddly vivid memory of one getting stuck in my green spray-painted hair (part of my witch costume, one of the four times I dressed as one) while trick-or-treating. For nostalgia’s sake, they make the list. 

7. Flavored Tootsie Rolls

I don’t know what they put in those little nuggets, but they’re so addicting. The vanilla ones with the blue wrapper are especially irresistible…but I have to eat mine really quickly when I find them because my mother (bless her candy-loving heart) always steals mine. 

6. Snickers

I don’t really have to say much here, you all know that Snickers understood the assignment. Chocolate, peanuts, caramel, and nuget (which by the way, what even is nuget?): what more could you ask for? You’re not you when you’re hungry…

5. Starburst

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about the Tropical kind, or the All-Pinks, or the Berry flavored. When you give me a Starburst when I come trick-or-treating at your house, it better be from the original variety, and it better not be lemon. There. I said it. 

4. Butterfinger

I had a Butterfinger for the first time at summer camp when I was seven years old and it changed my life forever. This is another candy bar that I could eat nonstop without getting tired of it…but my teeth might get cemented in peanut butter––my dentist would hate me. 

3. Twix

Right Twix and Left Twix are the same, and they’re both perfect candy bars. Moving on. 

2. Kit Kat

Kit Kats are undeniably lovely little wafer bars of chocolate. Why are they so fun to eat? That perfect cruch? Get outta here. Andy Dwire from “The Office” really solidified my love of the jingle, too. “Break me off a piece of that…Football Cream!” 

1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

I could write a novel about why these are the best Halloween candy. My devotion to these delightful little cups of bliss is unending. They said it best in the Reese’s Puffs commercial: “Peanut butter-chocolate, great when separate, but when they combine, they make the morning time epic, morning time epic!” R, double-E, S, E, S––YES! 

So there you go! Now you know what candy you should gobble down while watching scary movies this year…I mean, toss into trick-or-treaters’ bags, of course. Happy Halloween!

Page Sutton

Winona '23

Hey! I'm Page, and I am a junior undergrad at Winona State University majoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Creative Writing, and minoring in Literature. I'm from Waseca, Minnesota, but I moved around the state a lot as a kid. After college, I plan to work as an editor/publisher while also pursuing authoring on my own. I enjoy reading, watching stand-up comedy specials on Netflix, baking (and eating said bakes), kayaking, and snuggling with my two dogs: Janey and George. In my head, I am dating Harry Styles…in reality, however, this is not the case, but I am a huge fan.