This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Lucky for us, March 3rd is National I Want You to Be Happy Day, which encourages us to do something to make others happy. These can be small things like buying your little brother ice cream, doing the dishes for your mom, or something bigger like telling someone you love them. So, what are some things you can do to brighten up someone’s day?

Keep scrolling to find some sappy ideas from yours truly:

1. Buy someone their favorite food

You don’t have to drive across the state border or fly across the country. Simply picking up their favorite ice cream or getting a meal from their favorite burger joint will be enough to make their day.

2. Ask if you can pay for the car behind you 

I had this happen to me once and I will seriously never forget it. If you’re in line at McDonald’s or Starbucks, ask to pay for the person’s order behind you… and cross your fingers they didn’t buy the whole menu. This will not only make their week, but it will likely boost your mood too!

3. Do a chore around the house that someone dreads

This one might not be the most fun because honestly no one likes chores, but they will thank you for it. Throw a load of laundry in that has been sitting around for a while or maybe clean out your dad’s car. Sweep the floor or fill your sister’s car up with gas. Maybe shovel your neighbor’s driveway. Small things can mean a lot, and this is one of those times.

4. Surprise gift!

Have someone’s address saved in your phone? Take a quick drive and surprise them with a new book or a necklace of their favorite color. Can’t drive there? Order something online and have it shipped to them! This is bound to make their day, and you might even get something in the mail as a thank you.

5. Random sticky note

This one will take you about 15 seconds to do, so it’s super easy! Write a friendly note of encouragement and stick it in your apartment elevator, or on your boss’ door. Maybe try this in your dorm bathroom or communal lounge. This will easily brighten up someone’s day, and it’s so simple!

6. Compliment a stranger

Compliments are something we don’t think of until we receive one. Have you ever gotten one that means so much and ends up completely turning your day around? Try to do that for someone else! Love someone’s hat? Tell them! You never know what someone else is going through, and one small compliment could really make a difference in their day!

7. Play someone’s favorite song as loud as you can

I think this idea is so cute. I think we all have one of those friends whose favorite song never plays on the radio. Maybe it’s an oldie or maybe it’s just by an obscure artist. Once you get home, blast the song as loud as you can and see their face light up. Can’t play it out loud? Grab your earbuds and play it for them and watch their eyes sparkle. This will truly make them smile, and it will result in an epic jam session.

8. Let someone go in front of you in line

No matter where you go on March 3rd, chances are you will see someone that looks rushed. Maybe they’re excessively checking their watch or pacing a little in line. Have nowhere to be? Let them go in front of you and save them a few minutes of further waiting. This might be enough extra time that results in them making a big meeting or getting to class on time. 

9. Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while

This one is so easy and can mean so much. Haven’t called your grandma in a week? Call her and talk to her about the exam you definitely did not fail. Maybe call your friend that goes to school out of state and ask them about their day; I’m sure the sound of your voice alone is enough to make them smile.

10. Write someone a letter

This one is a little bigger than some of the other ideas I mention, but I think this one could also mean the most. Taking 30 minutes out of your day to write someone a meaningful letter can truly make someone so happy. Make a list that includes 20 of your favorite things about your lover or maybe make a list of funny stories you’ve had with your best friend. Written words can hold extra meaning because in ten years you can read the words just as they were originally written.

Try and make March 3rd a great day and see how many people you can make happy! Oh, and don’t forget to mark your calendars! If you take any cute photos of your acts of kindness, there’s also a hashtag for this National Day.

#IWantYouToBeHappyDay

My name is Emily Venné and I am a junior at Winona State University. I am double majoring in Literature and Language and also Writing Option. When my nose isn't buried in a book, I am either writing, hanging out with friends, or binge-watching my favorite tv shows. I dream of one day working in either publishing or editing, and maybe even writing a book of my own. <3
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.