How TikTok Helped Me Embrace Myself: A Midsize Woman’s Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With everything going on in the world, it’s been hard to find the bright side of things. The COVID-19 pandemic has shifted the way everyone lives, and we’ve been inundated with more free time. For a lot of people, that means way too much time scrolling through TikTok—myself included.

TikTok has become the home to one special community: Body Positivity TikTok. This part of TikTok is shown by a diverse group of women. They showcase everywhere from mid-size to plus-size women. These women are living their lives and loving all the curves they were blessed with, along with spreading positivity to women and girls who need it. These influencers provide beauty and fashion inspiration for many who follow them. It can be hard to find the sizes you need in stores at times, but these women don’t let that hold them back. You also often find tips on where to find an online or in-person store with better selections.

After seeing this community and influencers for the first time, I finally felt seen as a woman who didn’t necessarily conform to normal body types. I’ve always had a larger frame; I was plagued by insecurities as a teenager that I feel are imprinted in women from a young age. Even when I wasn’t chubbier, I was convinced that my body was too squishy or too wide. I realized during the pandemic that I’d only become more hyper-aware of that. I was filled with self-destructive thoughts about my body and food. 

Body Positivity TikTok confronts what everyone has told women, “You’d look better if you lost some weight.” 

They talk about loving yourself and wearing whatever makes you feel good. This could be a cute sweater and jeans or your most daring dress. 

One of my favorite things I’ve realized through this community is that your clothing size or weight doesn’t define you. Everyone needs to stop being held back by these numbers. They’re not as important as society makes them seem, as long as you’re doing what’s best for you. They also preach the fact that gaining weight doesn’t make you any less deserving of love or respect. We need to stop idolizing the way that our bodies look when we were teenagers and realize that we’ve grown physically and mentally since then. And that is okay!

By clicking the pink links below, you’ll be taken to one of my favorite body positive TikToker’s videos! 

Overall, I’d highly recommended checking out any of these lovely ladies and starting the journey to loving every part of yourself without any remorse.

Hi, I'm Isabella. I'm an aspiring writer and an avid reader. I'm most at home reading a new book with my dogs by my side. I'm just starting out at Winona this year as a Senior and it's already turning out to be a good year.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!