How to Survive Living On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Fan. Fans. Fans. Fans.

It is hot the first few weeks of the semester and at the end of spring semester. And unless you’re one of the lucky ones who live in Haake, you don’t have air conditioning. The only way to get air circulation and to cool down is to have three or four fans set up strategically around your dorm room.

Bathroom strategy

Yes, sharing a bathroom with 25 other people is not very fun. There are two types of people: those who shower in the morning, and those who shower at night. The bathrooms are usually cleaned in the morning, so it might be beneficial to try and shower earlier in the day rather than later so it will be cleaner. Always wear your shower shoes in the shower and shoes whenever you’re in the bathroom.

Befriend your RA

Resident Assistant may be a scary word, but they are one of your best resources. Your RA is also a student, so they have been in your shoes. If you form an RA-resident relationship with them they will be so much more willing to help you. If you want a position in Housing and Residence Life, they can also write you a recommendation.

Find places to study

If you are like me and can’t study or do homework when there are people around, you need to find a place that works for you. You also may not realize this fact about yourself yet, so explore your Res Hall and find the quiet lounges. Check out Baldwin Lounge, spots in academic buildings, or the Library. If you live on West, Maria and Lourdes have huge basements with great study spots.

Use the kitchens

No, the Caf is not always 100. And yes, you will get sick of the food. Don’t spend all your Kryzsko Kash at once so you can go eat in Zane’s when you need a change. But there is  one skill that you will need to learn: cooking! There are kitchens in every res hall and it’s easy to hop in a friend’s car to go to Walmart and pick up the ingredients for an easy dinner. Other people may smell your cooking too and you may magically have some new friends.

Be civil with your roommate

You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate; you just need to get along. If you have any disagreements go to your RA (who you will now like you because I said to befriend them), and they will help you sort out any issues.

I had so much fun living in a traditional res hall my freshman year, so enjoy it. You may find yourself swapping stories with future co-workers in fifteen years about the fun and crazy things that happened.

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski