Hot Takes: My Personal Opinions about the Valentine’s Day Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

When I think of the phrase “seasons of love,” I think of two main things: the song from Rent and the month of February. And while Feb can be full of hot, fiery passion for special people, I have reserved some of my (potentially) unpopular opinions about the holiday to share with you all.

Without further ado & with the help of St. Valentine, I present to you: Hannah’s Hot Takes!

1. Chocolate with fruit-filled cream is the worst kind in a variety box.

I love a good assorted box of candies (I’m looking at you, Russell Stover), but any and all fruit-flavored chocolates are criminal. The worst offenders in my book are strawberry, raspberry, cherry and orange.

2. Conversation hearts are just aesthetic blackboard chalk.

Yes, the cute candies with “Be Mine?” and “You’re Cute” are sweet to look at. With these comes the threat of cracking a molar and no advantages to eating these crumbly, pastel imposter sweets.

3. Giant teddy bears are cute but impractical.

Perhaps this is coming out of spite, but who exactly has room for a 9-11 foot teddy bear?! I also have a semi-irrational fear that a camera is installed in those innocent button eyes.

4. A well-written card trumps flowers.

I think this might be because I’m a wordsmith and words resonate with me more than actions usually. Flowers will eventually wilt and be thrown out, although the gesture can be remembered. A card, on the other hand, can be crammed into a drawer with all the other devotions of love from years past and preserved.

5. Roses should not be the symbol of love.

I think roses are beautiful. But much like love itself, there are so many different ways to express that. Flowers are such a great way to do that because they all have their own emotive personalities. Also, I don’t like the potential to prick myself on a thorn. Love hurts… but you might be better off gifting a bouquet of band-aids if you opt for these flowers on V-Day.

6. Breaking up in February? Do it at least 7 days before V-Day.

How brutal would it be to face a break-up in the lovefest that is February? If you really can’t stick it out with an S.O., give them the benefit of severing ties before the 14th, ideally a week before so they can either find other plans or scope out the best wine and ice cream deals at supermarkets.

7. Don’t propose on V-Day unless it’s significant for a reason other than Hallmark told you it is.

I think spreading the love on Valentine’s Day is great and making a lifelong commitment to someone is beautiful as well. But it has become what I’m calling Hallmark-ized. So unless Valentine’s Day happens to be an anniversary or another day that’s individualized to the couple, I’d refrain from popping the question until the day after.

8. Fancy dinners don’t automatically make dates better.

The gesture of going to a fine-dining establishment is nice, but expectations, in my opinion, can make the night too much to stomach. Not to mention, footing the bill! But if your eyes and heart aren’t bigger than your stomach, then dig in.

9. Spend the day spreading love to those who will always be there for you.

It can sound a bit brutal, but there will definitely be people you celebrate this day with some years that may not always be around. So instead, send a little love to parents, siblings, pets, heck even yourself!

10. Discount chocolate sales should begin on the 14th, not the 15th.

If you’re anything like me, you like to peruse the convenience stores and clearance bins for marked down sweets the day after V-Day. Let everyone else share in the wealth of reasonably-priced goodies!

This V-Day, let your love run red hot… just like these takes of mine on the holiday!

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.