Hibernating With Healthy Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With winter quickly approaching, we need to remind ourselves to stay motivated in staying healthy. In the summer it is so easy to eat healthy and get exercise because most fruits and vegetables are in season and you have the option of enjoying the many outdoor activities the Midwest has to offer. Hastily, winter is approaching and before you know it, you are not going to want to be outside. Instead you are going to want to stay in, cuddle in bed longer, eat lots of warm and comforting foods, and dress in layers…so basically you’re going to hibernate. You may think all those things will keep you warm and happy, but in the long run, will it? These healthy snack options will be sure to keep you satisfied.

Slow Cooker Applesauce

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, and who said applesauce wouldn’t count. Making applesauce in your slow cooker is SO easy–and I think it tastes like warm apple pie filling! Even better, this recipe uses no added sugar.

Ingredients:

• 3lbs apples
  • 1/2C water

Instructions:

1. Prepare the apples by slicing and coring them.
  2. Place the sliced apples and water in the slow cooker, cover, and set on low for 6 hours.
  3. Use a blender to puree the soft apples, don’t over-blend.

No Bake Energy Bites

Energy bites are all the rage nowadays, but I wonder, are they just a fad or are they actually good? You should try some and be the judge of that. One thing for sure is that they are better than the average granola bar. Not only are they homemade so you know exactly what you’re eating, but you can also make more for a better value. There are lots of different recipes for them out there, but this list was my favorite!

Ingredients:

• 1/2C creamy peanut butter
  • 1/3C honey
  • 1t vanilla extract
  • 1C old-fashioned oats
  • 2/3C shredded coconut
  • 1/2 C flaxseed meal
  • 6T chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
  3. Transfer mixture to refrigerator or freezer and chill until set.
  4. Remove from refrigerator and shape into balls. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas

This recipe is great because it solves the problem, what to do with the overripe bananas? It is a healthy recipe that still tastes like you’re having a treat. This is a great snack that only takes 5 minutes to prepare, with only 4 ingredients. Check it out here!

Ingredients:

• 2 slightly overripe bananas
  • 2T sugar
  • 1t cinnamon
  • ¼ t nutmeg
  • Olive oil spray

Instructions:

1. Slice the bananas into rounds.
  2. In a small bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg
  3. Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray. Warm over medium heat.
  4. Add bananas for 2-3mins.
  5. During the last minute of cooking on the first side, sprinkle about ½ of the cinnamon mixture on the bananas.
  6. Flip the bananas after 2-3mins and add the rest of the cinnamon mixture.

Fruit Dip

This recipe is so simple and takes no time to make. It is a great touch to apples, bananas and strawberries. It is adjustable so you can make enough for just you or a group of people.

Ingredients:

• 1/2C peanut butter
  • 1C Greek plain nonfat yogurt

Instructions:

1. Mix the two ingredients together and enjoy!

Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

This recipe is mindlessly easy, and you can even buy roasted almonds to make it even easier. It is a nice quick snack option that is warm, crunchy, lightly sweetened and very addictive.

Ingredients:

• 2t ground cinnamon
  • 2t powdered sugar
  • ¼ t salt
  • 2C raw almonds
  • cooking spray

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Stir together cinnamon, sugar and salt.
  3. Place almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking try, and bake for 5 minutes, take it out and shake around so almonds move a bit, and continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
  4. Immediately mist the nuts with the nonstick cooking spray.
  5. Pour nuts into the bowl with the cinnamon mixture, and toss until completely coated.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.  
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.