Here’s the Scoop: 10 Ideal Ice Creams to Eat for Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We’ve all heard it before: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But I don’t think I’m alone in saying I scream, you scream / we all scream for ice cream… to be an acceptable breakfast food.

Well, have no fear, because Feb. 1 is the day we can indulge for breakfast! Here’s a list of 10 ice cream flavors (from two of my personal favorite ice cream brands) that I think could satisfy a sweet tooth’s breakfast palate.

Halo Top

• Blueberry Crumble: I’m definitely a fan of blueberry pancakes, but that feels inferior if you could trade a pancake griddle for a pint of fun and fruity ice cream! Plus, there’s 20g of protein in the pint and chunks of pie filling. Talk about a start to a great day.

• Peaches and Cream: Yogurt parfaits are one of my favorite ways to get some good fruit and dairy intake in the mornings. This treat provides that opportunity with a sweeter payoff at the bottom of a pint.

• Peanut Butter and Jelly: Screw the PB&J toast! Instead, toast the dawn of a new day with this ice cream confection that’s reminiscent of all those breakfast (and lunch) sammies.

• Caramel Macchiato: Look, if your morning is already going to start with a sugary, caffeine beverage, then what’s the harm in making it a solid sweet? You’ll be equal parts buzzed from sugar and the good ‘ol cup-of-joe energy jolt.

• Oatmeal Cookie: Oatmeal, to me, is by far the least appealing breakfast item. But when it’s baked in a cookie and then folded perfectly into ice cream? There’s no chance I’d wake up on the wrong side of the bed if I had this waiting in the freezer. 

Ben and Jerry’s

• Brewed to Matter: Much like the caramel macchiato flavor from Halo Top, this treat is a coffee ice cream with brownie batter and a chocolate swirl. Oh, fudge

• Chunky Monkey: Banana is such a staple flavor for me in breakfast, so this selection makes me feel like going apesh*t! There’s also a healthy dose of protein from the walnuts, so #health. 

• Cherry Garcia: Cherry is not a flavor I gravitate toward in the morning, but if you’re thinking of fruity breakfast food, this one ~cherry~ might as well hit the spot.

• Cinnamon Buns: I’ll be honest. I don’t see much of a difference in calories between an actual cinnamon bun and this ice cream, so you really can’t go wrong! 

• Vanilla: Classic. Can’t go wrong. Put a dollop of this in your coffee for a caffeine-y float or treat it like vanilla yogurt. There’s something so versatile about this that I don’t hesitate to call it my flavor-ite!

I hope you enjoyed reading the scoop about this sweet day. If your sweet tooth knows no bounds like me and must have it incorporated into a breakfast menu, join me in buying a pint on Feb. 1! 

Cover, 1-3, 4-5

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.