Here Kitty, Kitty: Life with My New Cat Blu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Before Blu

In recent months, I have been expressing to my boyfriend Aleck how much I love cats and miss my kittens that I had to sadly give away. I talked on and on about how cats are the perfect pet considering they are independent, yet loving animals. Aleck had always said he hated cats and never wanted one; I was disappointed that he thought so negatively about an animal that I cared for so much.

I mentioned often about getting a pet together when it was the right time in our lives and our relationship. A cat was never an option in our discussions; the only choice was a puppy. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love all animals, including dogs, but dogs are a larger responsibility because they need constant attention, lots of training and depending on the dog, lots of space to run and play. Having a dog anytime in the near future for us was out of the question because it wouldn’t have been right to get an animal that requires more attention than we can give it, more training than we have the patience and time for, and more room than we can provide. 

After Blu

But on Jan. 11, 2020, Aleck and I had gone to a family friend’s house to watch a motocross race. When we got downstairs to watch the race, I noticed a small black cat who was in fact nameless. I excitedly picked the cat up and cuddled him; it was then made clear by the owner of the cat that he was free for me to have, but I couldn’t own a cat because I was still living in the dorms for college. So, for the rest of the night, I cuddled up with the cat as much as I could, even though he didn’t seem to like me as much as I liked him. But, that didn’t stop me from cuddling and holding him because I wasn’t sure when I would see another cat again. 

As the night continued, the cat I tried so hard to make his way over to Aleck. Aleck’s reaction was not as excited as mine about the cute animal coming to his side, yet he would pet him. Then the cat cuddled into Aleck’s arm, falling asleep at his side. That’s when Aleck realized he didn’t hate cats after all. He soon fell in love with the precious cat that still didn’t have a name. 

Aleck fell so in love with the cat that he called his mom to convince him to bring the cat home and that he would do everything he needed to do to properly care for the little guy. With some persuading and promises, we were able to bring him home to Aleck’s. 

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

Jada is currently a sophomore at Winona State majoring in secondary social studies education. She enjoys writing about things she knows are familiar and may be relatable to others. When she’s not writing, Jada enjoys being with friends and family, reading about politics and history, and petting any animal she sees!
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.