A Guide on Buying Stocking Stuffers, According to College Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

The holidays are approaching rather quickly now, and while stockings are a nice decorative touch to a decked-out house, they’re even nicer when full of small tokens of love.

However, if you find yourself tasked with the struggle of filling a college kid’s stocking every year, look no further! Here’s a not-quite-exhaustive list of different college majors and what would make them holly jolly to pull out of that celebratory sock on December 25 without breaking the bank! 

I’ll be breaking this down by each college at Winona State University and then finding the largest majors within those separate distinctions. 

*Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to diminish all the hard work of each separate major; these are just ideas for small trinkets that I believe could pertain to the fields of study! Also, I will not pretend to know everything about every major, nor will I cover every major that exists.*

College of Business

Accounting: For all those young business professionals, tie clips will make a statement in any outfit! If you’re a b*d*ss business woman, hair clips could also provide a sleek, polished look when you’re ready to tackle the next company pitch. 

Marketing: As a place to write down all the important brainstorms and ideas, a dependable notebook is essential! Let your personal aura shine with a choice of many Moleskins to choose from. Or for an inspirational read, there’s this book by Ann Handley about how to hone the craft of writing for all different aspects of marketing in the 21st century.

Economics: If you’re looking for a cute mug that exemplifies the motto of any Econ major, here’s a great one! Or perhaps you could interest your student in a magazine subscription to The Economist

College of Education

Early Childhood: For a gift that allows your student to choose, get them a Barnes and Noble gift card to deck their classrooms out in their favorite books! Or purchase a nice throw blanket to curl up under when looking through classwork that could double as a cozy classroom accessory!

Special Education: These students are all about the care and attention to individuals’ needs. Because anyone who’s majoring in this has a heart of gold, reward them with this plaque as a reminder of their purpose of what they want to accomplish in the classroom: creating an accepting place for all! 

Music: A no-brainer gift idea for these students is investing in a good pair of headphones! Or, if you’re looking for a way to help them display their latest compositions, swipe some of these cute magnets with music notes! Score! (That’s a music joke.) 

College of Liberal Arts

Mass Communication: If your student is in the interest of sharing the truth, then they must live by the idea that “words matter.” If that’s the case, gift them with a way to carry about their chicken-scratch interview notes and laptops that are always full of new stories in this stylish tote bag!

Theatre Arts: Take the opportunity to illuminate the talent of your student with this personalized drama faces light. They were born to shine, so why not get them a gift that does the same thing?

Psychology: This tapestry is perfect to show the duality of the brain and all the learning this student does! It’s both colorful and organized, just like psych students need to be in their day-to-day studies. 

College of Nursing and Health Sciences

Social Work: For all the in-depth analyzing and in-person work these students will do, give them a sturdy, stellar foundation for them to write their notes on with this hand-painted clipboard.

Nursing: For those health and medicine motivated students, perhaps they’ve mentioned a favorite organ while discussing their schooling—I don’t know, stranger things have happened! Either way, it’s undeniable how cute these plush pillows are! Now you can organ-ically have a conversation starter about the nursing field in a fun and clever way.

Athletic Training: Let’s get physical, baby! Have these students hang this street sign decor gift to remind them of the path they’re walking or running or kayaking down… you get the idea! 

College of Science and Engineering

Biology: To store their lab samples, highlighters and other science essentials, give them a super cute pouch to carry all their essentials for success! It’ll make the perfect addition to the crisp lab coat and protective goggles.

Engineering: To keep these enigmatic engineering minds sharp, treat your student to some brain puzzles. Not only will they provide students with a brain break, but the puzzles are also portable, so they’re easy to stow away while they work on all the bigger and better inventions.

Mathematics: While only time would tell me why anyone would want to be a math major—I respect the hustle, though—get your students a wall clock that’ll challenge and delight their number-oriented noggins! 

I hope this little gift guide is the perfect starting place to figure out what to stuff the stockings with for all those studious college students, no matter their major. Happy shopping!

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

GIFs provided by Giphy.com

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!